As an Alarm/Security System user, an annual permit is required.
All alarm users are required to submit an annual alarm user information form. This addresses alarms connected directly to the city's communication center, a private monitoring firm, a proprietary central station or any other structure where an installed alarm system is capable of sounding an alarm throughout the building via the activation of a single device.
TERM: Calendar Year.
FEE: $100 per application.
RENEWABLE: Yes: $30/year.
CONTACT: Alarm Permit Coordinator at 847/866-5928. Leave your name, address, and telephone number and an application will be mailed out to you
APPLICATION: Not available online.
IMPORTANT: OPERATION OF AN UNLICENSED ALARM SYSTEM MAY SUBJECT YOU TO PENALTIES INCLUDING FINES OF UP TO $500 PER OCCURRENCE.
False Alarm Ordinance
False alarms place the lives and property of community members in jeopardy. While police and firefighters are responding to alarms that turn out to be false, they are less likely available to respond to alarms that are valid. In addition, the occupants are less likely to believe in their system with repeated false activations.
False Alarm Fee Increases Effective February 1, 2012
Ordinance 117-O-11 will increase the City of Evanston Police and Fire-related false alarm fees. This increase will take effect January 1, 2012. The ordinance would implement a 10% increase in police and fire-related false alarm fees. This was introduced at City Council on December 12, 2011 with expected approval on January 9, 2012. See fee structure and ordinance here>>>
This fee is applied when the City’s emergency communication center is notified of four or more police or fire-related false alarms by a single user within a calendar year. The new false alarm fee structure will be as follows:
|Number of False Alarms Per Year||Fee Per Alarm|
|0 to 3 Alarms||0|
|4 to 10 Alarms||$110.00|
|11 to 24 Alarms||$330.00|
In 2002 the Police and Fire Departments responded to over 6,000 false alarms (Police 4,700 and Fire 1,333). Many of these alarms resulted from smaller systems located in residential settings. In an effort to reduce the number of false activations, City Council approved the following modifications to the false alarm ordinance in July of 2003:
- Reduced the number of free false alarms from 4 to 3
- Modified the fee structure to: 4 to 10, $100 per occurrence; 11 to 24, $300 per occurrence; 25 +, $500 per occurrence
- Eliminated the $1000 per occurrence category
- Added a special fee schedule if the system does not have a current alarm permit: No free false alarms; $250 for the first occurrence; $500 for each subsequent occurrence
The intent of the Ordinance is to encourage the alarm owners to maintain their systems so that they are reliable and have minimal false activations. The Ordinance has a "User Friendly" provision that allows the Alarm Administrator to waive an alarm occurrence if the owner took action to prevent the false alarm from recurring. All requests for waivers must be received by the Alarm Permit Coordinator in writing within thirty (30) days of the alarm occurrence. Requests should be mailed to Evanston Fire Life & Safety, 909 Lake Street, Evanston, IL 60202.
City Council also asks community members to research the proper usage of their alarm systems through manuals or by consulting their alarm dealers.
909 Lake St. Evanston, IL 60201
Weekdays: 8:30am - 5pm
Fire Chief: Greg Klaiber
Housing and Homelessness Commission - CANCELLED
Romeo and Juliet
Sphinx Performance Academy: Catalyst Quartet Performance
Downtown Evanston Farmers' Market
Why Not Me? A Sammy Davis Jr. Story
- Evanston Community Members Encouraged to Provide Feedback on Bike Transportation Improvements at Upcoming Public Meetings
- Summer Playground Plus Campers Work to Keep Community Safe in 10-week Program
- Water Service Shut-down in 1900 Block of Dodge Ave. to Repair Broken Water Main
- U.S. Army Reserve Child, Youth & School Services Conduct Cleanup at James Park
- Adult Mosquito Control Operations Planned for Evanston West of Crawford Ave. August 21 POSTPONED