- CPR Classes
- Emergency Preparedness & Response
- Creating A Basic Emergency Plan
- Community Emergency Response Team
- Disaster Driving
- If Officials Say to Evacuate
- Lightning Hazards
- Making a Disaster Survival Kit
- Medical Reserve Corps
- Premise Alert Program
- Summer Hazards
- Tornado Safety Tips
- Warning Signals
- Winter Storm Facts
- Why Prepare For Disaster?
- Citizen Fire Academy
- Fire Explorer Program
- Fire Prevention
- File of L.I.F.E
- Request Files & Reports
- Statistics & Reports
- Support Your Fire Dept.
- Contact Us
Fire Safety House
Education is the best method of prevention according to the staff of the Evanston Fire Department.
With the financial support of a Community Development Block Grant and a grant from the Evanston Firefighters Foreign Fire Tax Board, the Department purchased a Fire Safety House to help increase the awareness of fire prevention and life safety techniques for both children and adults.
The 35 foot mobile demonstration unit will make appearances at schools, parks and events around the City, giving visitors the opportunity to experience emergency conditions in a controlled environment through the unit’s special effects.
With room for 20 children or 12 adults, visitors can sit in comfort while receiving valuable instruction on various fire and life safety topics. The trailer is equipped with a smoke machine and a heated door to simulate fire conditions that will allow visitors to practice fire escape procedures.
A working kitchen will allow the instructors to discuss kitchen-related fire and safety hazards. The trailer is also equipped to:
- provide instructions to senior citizens on fire hazards
- smoke detectors for the hearing impaired
- fall prevention techniques
- accommodate visitors with mobility impairments
But the fun doesn’t stop there. The trailer features a weather alert program where individuals view a video that replicates a television broadcast. While the visitors watch the “broadcast,” a severe weather warning interrupts the program, causing the trailer to simulate a dwelling experiencing a torrential storm, with thunder that shakes it, and lightning that flashes through its windows. The virtual storm gives the instructors an opportunity to discuss proper safety practices during violent weather.
Fire Safety House Sponsored by:
- City of Evanston CDBG Program
- Evanston Foreign Fire Tax Board
- The Presbyterian Homes
- Hanson Roofing, Inc.
- Evanston Northwestern Healthcare
- Sam's Club
Sponsor the trailer and help save lives
How would you like your business or organization advertised around the City -- down streets, at parks, schools, fairs and festivals?
The Fire Department offers sponsorships of its new Fire Safety House that will give your organization’s advertising and marketing program a boost. With your donation to support the staffing requirements that the Fire Safety House needs in order to operate, your organization’s name will be placed prominently on the side of the House. Your organization will become a partner to the Department in fire prevention education.
If you would like to become a sponsor, contact us at (847) 448-8191.
Fire & Safety Awards Ceremony
Design and Project Review Committee - CANCELLED
Transportation/Parking Committee Meeting - CANCELLED
Economic Development Committee - CANCELLED
Celebration Event for Age-Friendly Evanston Action Plan
Gibbs-Morrison Improvement Project Meeting
- Evanston Police Department Hosts "Coffee With a Cop" on October 7
- City of Evanston 2016 Parking Lot Improvement Project Begins October 3
- Reminder: Early Deadline for Delinquent 2015 Property Tax Payments
- 2016 Mayor's Award for the Arts Nominees Announced
- Newsy Items on Tonight's City Council Agenda