- General Assistance
- Permits & Licenses
- Birth & Death Certificates
- Clean Air Act / Smoking
- Diseases & Conditions
- Ebola Information
- Erie Evanston/Skokie Health Center
- Food Establishment Inspections
- Food Service Manager Certification
- Healthy Homes
- Landlord Resources
- Mental Health
- Pest Control
- Property Maintenance
- Public Health Emergency Preparedness
- Creating A Basic Emergency Plan
- Community Emergency Response Team
- Disaster Driving
- If Officials Say to Evacuate
- Lightning Hazards
- Making a Disaster Survival Kit
- Medical Reserve Corps
- Summer Hazards
- Tornado Safety Tips
- Warning Signals
- Winter Storm Facts
- Why Prepare For Disaster?
- Referral Resources / Community Partners
- ReThink Your Drink
- Rental Registration
- Tobacco In Evanston
- Travel Resources
- Women Out Walking
Birth & Death Certificates
The Office of Vital Records issues certified copies of birth and death certificates for birth or deaths occurring in Evanston with certain restrictions.
Effective January 1, 2015, Birth and Death Certificate rates are as follows:
- Birth Certificates: $15 for the first copy; $4 for each additional copy ordered at the same time.
- Death Certificates: $17 for the first copy; $6 for each additional copy ordered at the same time.
LOCATION: Room 1600, 1st Floor, Lorraine H. Morton Civic Center, 2100 Ridge Avenue
HOURS OF OPERATION: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with the last request by 4:15 p.m. The office is closed from 1:00 - 2:00 p.m. daily.
BIRTH CERTIFICATES will be issued only to the following upon presentation of acceptable identification:
- The person named on the record if at least 18 years old.
- A parent named on the record.
- The legal representative of the person named on record with the proper documentation (i.e. spouse or attorney).
- Legal Guardian (with proof of guardianship).
Departments of Federal, State or Municipal government.
BIRTH CERTIFICATES may be requested in writing or in person at the Office of Vital Records. Note the following requirements:
- Provide name at birth, date of birth, hospital, mother's maiden name, father's name and your signature.
- Include a legible copy of your valid photo ID. REQUIRED
- Include $15 for the first certificate and $4 for each additional certificate.
- Make checks and money orders payable to CITY OF EVANSTON.
- Provide a daytime phone number.
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- Allow 3 weeks for processing.
- Visit or send requests to: Evanston Office of Vital Records, 2100 Ridge Avenue, Evanston, IL 60201
Acceptable Forms of Identification
Column A OR Column B
|One of the following Is required:||Two of the following are required:|
Printable application - click here: Request for Birth Certificate (printable version)
To apply online go to: Request for Birth Certificate
The Office of Vital Records can provide a legal copy of a death certificate for a death that occurred in Evanston from 1992 to the present. Beginning January 1, 2015, rates are $17 for the first copy and $6 per additional copy. NOTE: Only Evanston death records from 1992 to the present are available in the Evanston Office of Vital Records.
Printable application - click here: Printable Death Certificate Request (2 pages)
To apply online to go to: Request for Death Certificate
Note: For Cook County marriage certificate please visit Cook County Clerk's Office, Office of Vital Statistics.
Vital Records Office
Design and Project Review Committee
Transportation/Parking Committee Meeting
Economic Development Committee
Thursday Night Live!
Old School R&B Concert II
- Evanston and Naperville First Illinois Partners to Join Waze Connected Citizens Program
- Temporary Traffic Control Plan for Chicago Avenue at Church Street to Repair Water Main Break
- Community Members Invited to Attend Reception Celebrating Loan of Frances Willard Sculpture August 26
- Adult Mosquito Control Operations Planned for August 24 Rescheduled for August 25
- Adult Mosquito Control Operations Planned for August 23 Postponed