"Building a Sustainable Community" on August 23
Join us at the Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center Dance Studio on August 23 for a roundtable program on how to achieve sustainable communities for state and local government representatives. This event is sponsored by the USGBC – Illinois Chapter’s North/Northwest Suburban Branch, the Congress for New Urbanism – Illinois Chapter, the City of Evanston, Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning, and Farr Associates for a roundtable program on how to achieve sustainable communities for state and local government representatives.
Building a sustainable community is no easy challenge. It takes education, new thinking, smart implementation and a commitment from stakeholders. Learning key principles of smart urban planning, the goals and point system that constitute the LEED for Neighborhood Development (LEED-ND) rating system, and the specifics of CMAP’s GO TO 2040 seven county regional plan, are your first steps. We will also see the latest on LEED-ND in action as we visit Evanston’s Emerson Square Project both in case study, and on tour. This event has been approved for 3.0 GBCI CE and AIA CEU credit hours.
This program will be held from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Dance Studio of the Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center, 1655 Foster St., Evanston, IL.
- 8:00 AM - 8:30 AM Networking and Continental Breakfast
- 8:30 AM - 9:30 AM A Sustainable Community: Defining it, Mapping it and Creating an Action Plan
- 9:35 AM - 9:45 AM Break
- 9:45 AM - 10:15 AM LEED for Neighborhood Development Case Study: Emerson Square Project
- 10:15 AM - 10:45 AM Hurdles to Sustainable Communities Panel Discussion and Q & A
- 10:45 AM - 10:55 AM Break
- 10:55 AM - 12:00 PM Emerson Square Tour with the City of Evanston and Brinshore Development
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM Tour of Now We’re Cooking commercial kitchen and culinary center (optional)
- Megan Lewis, JFNew Presenters:
- Doug Farr, Farr Associates
- Bob Dean, Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning
- Susan Guderley, City of Evanston
- David Brint, Brinshore Development, LLC
- Todd Lieberman, Brinshore Development, LLC
Register here! $15 Chapter Members, Design Evanston Members, Government & Municipal Employees; $20 Non-Members; $10 Students.
Please contact Pam Jackson at 312-245-8300x204 or email@example.com.