National Drinking Water Week High School Poetry and Art Contests
The City of Evanston is hosting an art contest as part of National Drinking Water Week 2013 (NDWW), which runs May 6 - 12. The purpose of NDWW is to celebrate water by recognizing the essential role it plays in our daily lives. The City will host a Photography Contest, Drawing & Painting Contest, and Poetry Contest for high school students in Evanston schools/ community organizations with the goal of education and promotion around drinking water.
All artwork and poems must express how local decisions may impact waterways in a distant area, or may capture a way in which you reduce water use, promote local tap water, or celebrate local water resources. Top artwork submissions will be displayed on the City’s website and will be available for viewing at the Evanston Main Library during NDDW. The community will participate in on-line voting to determine the top winners for the Drawing & Painting Contest and Photography Contest, and a committee will determine the winner of the Poetry Contest. The winners will be announced at an Evanston City Council Meeting in April and will be invited to attend the presentation of the award. Awards will include Evanston Beach Token(s) for the 2013 summer.
- Artwork can be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org in JPEG, PDF, or JPG or can be printed on an 8 ½ x 11 sheet of paper and submitted to Evanston Utilities Department, 555 Lincoln Street, Evanston, IL 60201. Artwork can be mailed or dropped off Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- All submissions must include an original photograph by the student and the use of digital media. Photoshopping is allowed.
Drawing and Painting Contest
- All drawings and paintings must be original artwork by an Evanston high school student and can be scanned and submitted electronically to email@example.com in JPEG, PDF, or JPG or can be submitted in a hard copy, but would preferably no larger than 22” x 30”.
- Hard Copies can be submitted to Evanston Utilities Department, 555 Lincoln Street, Evanston, IL 60201. Artwork can be mailed or dropped off Monday – Friday, 7:30 am to 4:00 pm.
- Poems may be no longer than 1000 words (no word minimum) and can be submitted electronically in .doc, .docx, or pdf formats to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Submission Deadline for all contests is March 15, 2013. Questions can be directed to Lara Biggs, Utilities Department, 847/448-8198.