ComEd to Begin Emergency Repair Work Along Clark Street & Chicago Avenue
Updated: 12/19/2013 at 2:45 p.m. CST
On Thursday, December 19, ComEd will begin a three-day project to replace a failing underground cable along Clark St. and Chicago Ave. To view the impacted area, click here.
As a result of the project, ComEd will be setting up three generators in the area this weekend to limit interruption to customers. The generators will be located in the alley behind the Orrington Hotel; behind 614 Clark St.; and behind the Evanston Public Library. Area residents may hear noise associated with the generators for a two to three hour period while service is being restored. Work will begin at 4 a.m. on Thursday, December 19 and continue until 9 a.m. on Saturday, December 21.
The following traffic routes will be affected:
- The south alley behind the Orrington Hotel will be blocked to accommodate a generator
- The alley east of Orrington Ave. from Clark St. to the library parking lot will be blocked to accommodate a generator
- Parking meters on the south side of Clark St. between Chicago Ave. and Orrington Ave. will be hooded and east-bound traffic will be diverted into the parking lane, while a ComEd crew is working in the manhole
- The main Evanston Public Library parking lot will only be accessible via Church St. beginning Friday, December 20.
- The library west ramp from Orrington Ave. will remain open
Traffic will resume back to normal on Saturday, December 21 at 9 a.m. The traffic plan for the area is available here.
For more information regarding this emergency work, please contact 3-1-1.