- Register Online
- Ice Skating and Sledding
- Lakefront & Beaches
- Chandler-Newberger Center
- Ecology Center
- Fleetwood-Jourdain Center
- Levy Senior Center
- Noyes Cultural Arts Center
- Robert Crown Center
- Summer Camps
- Support Your Parks
- Adopt a Park
- Gibbs-Morrison Center
The City of Evanston offers residents 220 plots for rent from March through mid-November. Returning gardeners have first priority to renew their contracts, so each year there is a limited number of plots available. A lottery is now used to allocate the available plots.
The community garden program is strictly available to Evanston residents. To participate in this program, you must live in ZIP code 60201 or 60202 and provide proof of residency at the time of registration for the lottery.
Friday, January 9, 2015 – Lottery Registration Begins
Tuesday, March 3, 2015 – Registration for Lottery Ends at 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 7, 2015 – Lottery in Multi-Purpose Room Starting at 3:00 p.m.
To register for the Community Garden Lottery, submit the following form in person with proof of Evanston residency by March 3 at 5:00 pm at the Evanston Ecology Center: registration form for garden 2015.pdf.
For more information regarding the Lottery, please read the attached file.
The garden sites are:
- James Park Gardens, south of Oakton between McCormick Blvd. and Dodge Ave. This is a locked site. In addition to full and half plots, this site has 4 raised beds.
- Twiggs Canal Gardens, by the intersection of Bridge and Simpson, on the south side of North Shore Channel in Twiggs Park. This site has full and half plots and eight raised beds.
- McCormick Gardens, at McCormick Blvd. and Bridge St., across the street from the Ecology Center. This site has full and half plots.
- Lighthouse Gardens, off of Sheridan Road, north of the Grosse Point Lighthouse and adjacent to Noah's Playground for Everyone in Lawson Park. This is the smallest site with 9½ plots.
Depending on the overall schedule, weather and availability, the City provides wood chips and a water source at each site as part of the community gardening program. Gardeners must sign a waiver and a gardening agreement, which includes providing 1½-3 hours of community garden service each season, in addition to the annual plot fee.
Half Plot (approx. 200 square feet): $42.50 for all sites, plus community garden service
Raised bed (Twiggs): $38.00, plus community garden service
Raised bed (James Park): $25.00, plus community garden service
The raised beds are approximately 20 inches off the ground for ease of use. Fee assistance is available to qualified Evanston residents.
For more information, gardeners can contact Mary Jaminski at email@example.com or call 847.448.8256.
Parks, Recreation & Community Services
- "Pedal Bright" Bike Light Giveaway and Installation Event Returns October 1
- Farmers' Market Harvest Celebration Brings Together Chefs and Farmers on Sept. 19
- Capture the Beauty of Your Favorite Tree in the 2nd Annual "I Heart Evanston Trees" Art Contest
- City of Evanston Begins Construction to Expand Ecology Center Classroom
- Evanston Streets Alive! Returns to Main Street September 13