- Register Online
- Ice Skating and Sledding
- Lakefront & Beaches
- Chandler-Newberger Center
- Ecology Center
- Fleetwood-Jourdain Center
- Levy Senior Center
- Noyes Cultural Arts Center
- Robert Crown Center
- Summer Camps
- Support Your Parks
Support Twiggs Community Garden! Vote today.
Twiggs Community Garden has been entered into the Seeds of Change® Grant Program for the opportunity to receive one of two (2) $20,000 or one of fifteen (15) $10,000 grants. Grants will be awarded to organizations that help support and develop sustainable, community-based gardening and farming programs that focus on teaching people where their food comes from and the delicious ways it can end up on your plate.
Your support is needed during the public voting phase. Visit www.seedsofchangegrant.com and click on “Vote Now." Enter “Twiggs Community Garden” in Evanston, click "search" and then finish voting.
From now until April 21, site visitors will have the opportunity to vote one time per day! After voting closes, the 50 applications with the most votes move on to the final judging phase. On May 5, Seeds of Change® will announce the grant recipients.
Funding for the Seeds of Change® Grant Program comes from the “1% Fund,” the company’s commitment to donate one percent of net sales to support community-based nutrition, gardening and farming programs.
To connect with other interested gardeners, visit www.Facebook.com/seedsofchange
The City of Evanston offers residents 220 plots for rent from March through mid-November. Returning gardeners have first priority to renew their contracts, so each year there is a limited number of plots available. A lottery is now used to allocate the available plots.
The community garden program is strictly available to Evanston residents. To participate in this program, you must live in ZIP code 60201 or 60202 and provide proof of residency at the time of registration for the lottery.
Friday, January 10, 2014 – Lottery Registration Begins
Tuesday, March 4, 2014 – Registration for Lottery Ends at 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 8, 2014 – Lottery in Multi-Purpose Room Starting at 3:00 p.m.
To register for the Community Garden Lottery, submit the following form in person with proof of Evanston residency by March 4 at 5:00 pm at the Evanston Ecology Center: Registration form.
For more information regarding the Lottery, please read the attached file.
The garden sites are:
- James Park Gardens, south of Oakton between McCormick Blvd. and Dodge Ave. This is a locked site. In addition to full and half plots, this site has 4 raised beds.
- Twiggs Canal Gardens, by the intersection of Bridge and Simpson, on the south side of North Shore Channel in Twiggs Park. This site has full and half plots and eight raised beds.
- McCormick Gardens, at McCormick Blvd. and Bridge St., across the street from the Ecology Center. This site has full and half plots.
- Lighthouse Gardens, off of Sheridan Road, north of the Grosse Point Lighthouse and adjacent to Noah's Playground for Everyone in Lawson Park. This is the smallest site with 9½ plots.
Depending on the overall schedule, weather and availability, the City provides wood chips and a water source at each site as part of the community gardening program. Gardeners must sign a waiver and a gardening agreement, which includes providing 1½-3 hours of community garden service each season, in addition to the annual plot fee.
Half Plot (approx. 200 square feet): $42.50 for all sites, plus community garden service
Raised bed (Twiggs): $38.00, plus community garden service
Raised bed (James Park): $25.00, plus community garden service
The raised beds are approximately 20 inches off the ground for ease of use. Fee assistance is available to qualified Evanston residents.
For more information, gardeners can contact Mary Jaminski at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 847.448.8256.
Parks, Recreation & Community Services
- Evanston Designated as EPA "Green Power Community"
- Holiday Light Recycling Program Begins Dec. 1
- "I Heart Evanston Trees" Art Contest Winners Announced, Pre-Order Calendar and Greeting Cards Today
- City of Evanston Shines a Spotlight on Bicycle Safety at "Pedal Bright" Bike Light Giveaway and Installation Event October 30
- 40th Annual Fall Flea Market at the Robert Crown Center November 1