- Area Planning
- Zoning Applications
- Downtown Zoning
- Comprehensive Plan
- Commissions & Committees
- Community Dev. Block Grant
- Capital Improvement
- Historic Preservation
- Neighborhood Planning
- Neighborhood Stabilization Program 2
- Plan Commission
- Reports & Plans
The primary responsibility of the Zoning Office staff is to administer and enforce the Zoning Ordinance (Title 6 of the Evanston City Code).
This includes reviewing all proposals and applications for compliance, processing applications for zoning relief (for example, variances), providing zoning information about properties and explaining how zoning regulations apply to proposed developments. The Zoning Office reviews all building permit applications and business licenses for compliance. Staff is available by appointment to review development concepts and to discuss possible uses at a specific site.
How to find the ZONING DISTRICT for a property:
Click here to use About My Place. Enter the address of the property, and press Get Info. A page of information about the property will be displayed. The Zoning Code will be shown near the center of the page.
The Zoning Office provides services the following services. Applications are available online or in our office. To download applications, click on links below. More detailed information may be found on our new Zoning Applications page.
- Zoning Analysis Application
- Certificates of Zoning Compliance
Special Use Permits
Garage & Yard Sale Permits
Home Occupation Permits
- Use Interpretations
- Text Amendments (ordinance changes)
- Map Amendments (rezoning)
- Site Plan & Appearance Review Committee (SPAARC) Scheduling
- Subdivision Approvals
To reach a member of the Zoning Staff directly, see list below.
How to find the ZONING REGULATIONS for a Zoning District:
Click here to use the City Code. The Zoning Ordinance is Title 6.
Zoning District Summary Sheets
General Information on each zoning districts can be found below:
|R1-R3 Residential Districts|
|R4-R6 Residential Districts|
B1-B3 Business Districts
|C1-C2 Commercial Districts|
|D1-D4 Downtown Districts|
|I1-I3 Industrial Districts|
Sign up to receive email updates from Zoning
2100 Ridge Ave. Evanston, IL 60201, Rm 3106
Downtown Evanston Farmers' Market
Senior "Love Boat Cruise"
Senior Spelling Bee
City of Evanston Schedules for the Memorial Day Holiday
Memorial Day Ceremony
- City of Evanston Schedules for the Memorial Day Holiday
- Tree Summit Announced to Save Evanston's Urban Forest
- CTA, Pace to Start Using Ventra Tranist Passes this Summer
- Evanston Public Library Falcon Banding & Naming Event May 30
- Recreation Huddle to Imagine Future of Recreation & Leisure