(Greater Recycling in Every Evanston Neighborhood)
Recycling - It's Easy!
According to the IL EPA, up to 75% of the waste we produce may be recyclable. Consider a typical meal at home - most of the containers that food is packaged in, such as paper-based boxes, glass jars, plastic bottles and milk cartons, can be recycled if clean. Keeping a recycling bin or paper bag next to your garbage can help make separating recyclables from your garbage easy and convenient.
To learn more about recycling, view the Evanston Recycling Guide.
Acceptable items for recycling:
Cans and Foil:
- Steel (tin) cans & bi-metal cans
- Empty aerosol cans
- Aluminum beverage & pet food cans
- Clean aluminum foil & foil containers
- Empty, clean paint cans
- Metal lids and bottle caps
- Newspapers & inserts (remove plastic bags)
- Junk mail (opened)
- Office paper (all colors, including envelopes & fax paper)
- Gift wrap paper & tissue (unlined), kraft paper & greeting cards
- Magazines, catalogs, phone books & soft cover books
- Cardboard (flattened)
- Chipboard including cereal boxes, tissue boxes, paper towel & toilet paper rolls, shoe & food boxes (flattened)
- Egg cartons
- Paper bags
- Shredded paper
- Juice boxes and milk cartons (clean)
- All colors of glass bottles & jars. You do not need to remove labels. Rinse.
- Containers, bottles & lids labeled #1, #2, #3, #4 & #5, including liter soda bottles; milk, water & juice containers; food containers; liquid detergent, fabric softener, bleach & shampoo bottles. Rinse. Caps ok.
- Containers (narrow neck only) labeled #7
- Six pack & 12 pack rings
The following items are NOT recyclable through Evanston's program:
Plastic bags or packaging; #6 plastic (polystyrene), foam packaging (styrofoam) or polylactide (PLA) containers (e.g. corn starch or sugar cane based); scrap metal, cookware or utensils; partially filled aerosol or paint cans; foil-lined, wax, plastic or PLA coated paper (includes coffee cups and pet food bags); hard bound books; paper towels or food-contaminated paper (e.g. greasy pizza boxes); film or photos; dishware, ceramics or glassware; window glass or mirrors; light bulbs; toys; or oil, antifreeze, pesticide or herbicide containers.
Visit the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County's Green Pages Reuse and Recycling Directory to seek outlets for items that are not collected through Evanston's program.
Preparing Materials for Recycling Pick-Up
Precycle - avoid buying products in containers that cannot be recycled.
Rinse all bottles, cans and containers. Flatten cardboard boxes and larger containers. Labels and plastic caps do not need to be removed. Place cans, bottles and paper together in your container.
Please don't package materials in plastic bags. Use paper bags instead and take plastic bags to the grocery store for recycling (for drop off locations visit www.earth911.org). Plastic bags are not recycled through the City of Evanston's recycling program.
Set your container out by 7 a.m. on your collection day. Please note that condominium recycling will be picked up on Fridays rather than your regularly scheduled collection day. Put your address on your container and keep it in a safe place between collection days.
To report a missed recycling pick up submit a service request or call 311
To report a missed yard waste pick up submit a service request or call 311
Holiday collection - check the holiday collection schedule for important information on garbage and recycling collection on holidays.
Report missing carts to 311 or 847-448-4311
Replacement carts are available for lost and damaged carts at no charge. Contact 311 or 847-448-4311 to order a replacement cart.
Yard waste, street cleaning, construction projects, recycling & more!
Downtown Evanston Farmers' Market
Evanston Day of Caring
City Council Budget Workshop & Budget Hearing
Downtown Evanston Farmers' Market's FALL FEST
Fountain Square Visioning
- Evanston Residents Can Now Connect with the City of Evanston through Nextdoor.com
- Evanston Innovators and Small Businesses to Celebrate Global Entrepreneurship Week November 17-23
- New "Evanston Rec" App to Bring Parks and Recreation Events to Mobile Users
- City of Evanston Parks, Recreation & Community Services Department Hosts Producemobile at Robert Crown Center, Serving 250 Community Members in Need
- Enjoy Special Halloween and Harvest Events around Fountain Square Plaza Oct. 25-27