Medications & Thermometers
The City of Evanston's Health Department continues its cooperation with the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC) to give residents the opportunity to dispose of their unused prescription medications and sharps.
Evanston residents can bring their items to the Environmental Health Division, between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mondays through Fridays only. For more information call 847-866-2949 or download the SWANCC RX Disposal Program Frequently Asked Questions.pdf guide.
At the city’s Health Department, residentially-generated unused prescriptions, expired over-the-counter drugs, and needles known as “sharps” will also be collected. No other hazardous or special wastes will be accepted.
Residents should follow these guidelines when bringing in their prescriptions:
- Medicines will be accepted only if in labeled containers
- The City cannot accept any prescription drugs that are considered a controlled substance
- Personal information on labels should or can be marked out with black felt tip pens
- City employees CANNOT touch individual sharps
- Sharps brought in a coffee can or milk jug must be opened by the person so the City can inspect the contents and then seal the opening with duct tape so it cannot be tampered with
- No bulk turn-ins will be accepted.
SWANCC will provide one-quart sharps containers to residents who administer home-injections. Containers can be obtained at the Department of Health and Human Services.
Items that will not be accepted include:
- Institutional or business waste
- Controlled substances
- Non-prescription liquids
- Latex gloves
- Household chemical waste.
Mercury Thermometer Disposal
Thermometers can only be disposed by contacting SWANCC directly.
Yard waste, street cleaning, construction projects, recycling & more!
Plan Commission Comprehensive Plan Subcommittee
Arts Council's Arts & Business Committee
Site Plan Appearance and Review Committee - CANCELED
4th Ward Meeting
- Water Shut-down for Fire Hydrant/Valve Repairs: 1600-1800 Blocks of Washington St.
- Evanston Gun Buyback Event Set for June 29
- Free "Discover You Can" Workshops Offered
- Temporary Traffic Control Plan on Dodge between Oakton & Greenleaf May 20-24
- Update: Evanston Missing Person Located