Yard waste is collected on your regular refuse/recycling collection day beginning April 1 through December 4, 2014.
To ensure compliance with state laws, yard waste must be collected separately from the rest of the household waste.
Residents have 3 options for disposal of yard waste:
- Fill City of Evanston 95-gallon Yard Waste Carts, available for purchase price for $82.50 each. These reusable carts do not require the use of bags. To order a Yard Waste, please complete this Order Form and return it to the City Collector, City of Evanston, 2100 Ridge Ave., Evanston, IL 60201. All orders must be accompanied by a check, payable to “City of Evanston” for the full amount of purchase. Carts have a limited five year warranty. Warranty does not cover theft, abuse or negligence.
- Place yard waste in paper yard waste bags, such as 30-gallon Kraft Paper Lawn Waste Bags, available in packages at local stores. Plastic bags will not be collected. A Yard Waste Sticker must be purchased and affixed to each lawn waste paper bag.
- Compost and mulch to recycle the earth's nutrients, save money, and conserve vanishing landfill space. For information on composting at your home, see this brochure: Online-Compost-Guide or call the Ecology Center at 847-448-8256.
Yard waste stickers are $1.75 each and must be affixed to each yard waste paper bag and/or tree trimming bundles for pick-up.
Where can I buy Yard Waste Stickers?
- all Evanston Jewel stores
- Lemoi Hardware
- The Chalet (Wilmette)
- Harold's Hardware
- Home Depot
- City Collector’s office
- Levy Senior Center
Special pickup fees for yard waste collection will be assessed after 48 hours for bags without stickers, three (3) bags will be charged at a rate equal to $25, with each additional three (3) bags being charged $10.
Yard Waste Carts
Alternatively, residents can have an unlimited amount of yard waste collected from a wheeled cart which can be purchased from the City for $82.50 per cart. After purchasing the yard waste cart, there is an annual fee of $25. Yard waste fees are assessed annually and will appear on your water bill.
Tree Trimming Bundles
Tree trimming bundles must be less than three (3) feet in total diameter, with individual branches being less than four (4) feet long and less than three (3) inches in diameter. Residents must affix a yard waste sticker to tree trimming bundles.
Remember, it is against the law to rake leaves into the street. For information about the yard waste program, call 311 or 847-448-4311
Yard waste, street cleaning, construction projects, recycling & more!
North Shore Century
Chicago South Asian Film Festival Screenings at EPL
Admin/Public Works Comm.
Planning & Development Committee
- Newsy Items on Monday City Council Agenda
- This Year's First Confirmed Human Case of West Nile Virus Reported in Evanston
- Some Evanston Residents Participating in Electricity Aggregation Program May Not See Supply Charges on September ComEd Bills
- Evanston Named Fifth in "America's Best Cities to Live In"
- City to Host Community Meeting for Latino Residents Oct. 5