Yard waste collections for the 2016 season have been extended through Thursday, December 8.
To ensure compliance with state laws, yard waste must be collected separately from the rest of the household waste.
Yard Waste Pick-up
The City’s weekly yard waste pick-ups begin on Monday, April 4 and continue on residents’ regular refuse collection day through December 8.
Residents have 3 options for disposal of yard waste:
- Fill a City of Evanston 95-gallon reusable yard waste cart, available for the purchase price of $82.50 each. After purchasing a yard waste cart, there is an annual fee of $25. Yard waste fees are assessed annually and will appear on your water bill. These reusable carts do not require the use of bags. To order a yard waste cart, please complete this Order Form or visit the City Collector's office in the Morton Civic Center, 2100 Ridge Ave. Carts have a limited five-year warranty. Warranty does not cover theft, abuse or negligence.
- Place yard waste in paper yard waste bags, such as 30-gallon Kraft Paper Lawn Waste Bags, available in packages at local stores. Plastic bags will not be collected. A Yard Waste Sticker must be purchased and affixed to each lawn waste paper bag.
- Compost and mulch to recycle the earth's nutrients, save money, and conserve vanishing landfill space. For information on composting at your home, see this brochure: Online-Compost-Guide or call the Ecology Center at 847-448-8256.
Yard waste stickers are $1.75 each and must be affixed to each yard waste paper bag and/or tree trimming bundles for pick-up.
Where can I buy Yard Waste Stickers?
- The Home Depot
- Jewel (Howard St., Chicago Ave., and Green Bay Rd. in Wilmette)
- Lemoi Hardware
- The Chalet (Wilmette)
- City Collector’s Office (2100 Ridge Ave.)
- Levy Senior Center (300 Dodge Ave.)
Special pickup fees for yard waste collection will be assessed after 48 hours for bags without stickers, three (3) bags will be charged at a rate equal to $25, with each additional three (3) bags being charged $10.
Yard Waste Carts
Alternatively, residents can have an unlimited amount of yard waste collected from a wheeled cart which can be purchased from the City for $82.50 per cart. After purchasing the yard waste cart, there is an annual fee of $25. Yard waste fees are assessed annually and will appear on your water bill. To order a yard waste cart, complete the online order form >>>
Tree Trimming Bundles
Tree trimming bundles must be less than three (3) feet in total diameter, with individual branches being less than four (4) feet long and less than three (3) inches in diameter. Residents must affix a yard waste sticker to tree trimming bundles.
Remember, it is against the law to rake leaves into the street. For information about the yard waste program, call 311 or 847-448-4311
Backpack-mounted or hand-held gasoline-powered leaf blowers are allowed by the City for use only between March 30 and May 15 and between September 30 and the first Thursday of December during these hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Saturday, Sunday, and holidays, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Blowing or raking leaves into the street is a nuisance, and can cause flooding and block sewers. View flyer>>
Yard waste, street cleaning, construction projects, recycling & more!
Design and Project Review Committee - CANCELLED
Warm Bevvy Walk
Mental Health Board
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
- Inaugural "Rethink Your Drink" Campaign a Great Success
- Attend the Grand Chanukah Menorah Lighting and Celebration December 25
- City Issues Reminders for Winter Awareness Week December 4-10
- "The Nutcracker on Ice" Celebrates the Holiday Season Dec. 16-18
- Open House Public Meeting on Chicago Avenue Corridor Improvement Project Postponed