Yard waste collection is over for the season.
To ensure compliance with state laws, yard waste must be collected separately from the rest of the household waste.
Yard Waste Cart Replacement Program
Update: Phase 1 is expected to be completed on Friday, February 5, 2016.
Phase 2 of the project will include residents whose normal refuse pick-up day is Tuesday, and is anticipated to be completed between Tuesday, February 9 and Friday, March 4. Residents who live in the Tuesday refuse pick-up zone are asked to leave their yard waste and refuse carts in their normal pick-up spot, accessible to City crews, until the end of the second phase of the program, or until after their cart is replaced. There is no need for residents to take any other action.
The City’s Recycling and Environmental Services Bureau will replace damaged and older model yard waste carts (pictured) throughout the City as part of a free, one-time exchange program. Damaged refuse carts will also be replaced, at the City's discretion.
The program will begin on Monday, December 21 and will be completed in four phases according to residents' regular refuse pick-up day. The first phase of the project will include residents whose normal refuse pick-up day is Monday, and is anticipated to take place beginning December 21. Residents in the Monday pick-up zone are asked to leave their yard waste and refuse carts in their normal pick-up spot, accessible to City crews, until the end of the first phase of the program, or until after their cart is replaced. There is no need for residents to take any other action.
Additional program phases will be announced and posted on this webpage as the program progresses. The entire project is anticipated to be completed by May of 2016; however, the work is very weather dependent and the schedule is subject to change. For questions, please call or text 847-448-4311.
Residents have 3 options for disposal of yard waste:
- Fill City of Evanston 95-gallon Yard Waste Carts, available for purchase price for $82.50 each. These reusable carts do not require the use of bags. To order a Yard Waste cart, please complete this Order Form and return it to the City Collector, City of Evanston, 2100 Ridge Ave., Evanston, IL 60201. All orders must be accompanied by a check, payable to “City of Evanston” for the full amount of purchase. Carts have a limited five year warranty. Warranty does not cover theft, abuse or negligence.
- Place yard waste in paper yard waste bags, such as 30-gallon Kraft Paper Lawn Waste Bags, available in packages at local stores. Plastic bags will not be collected. A Yard Waste Sticker must be purchased and affixed to each lawn waste paper bag.
- Compost and mulch to recycle the earth's nutrients, save money, and conserve vanishing landfill space. For information on composting at your home, see this brochure: Online-Compost-Guide or call the Ecology Center at 847-448-8256.
Yard waste stickers are $1.75 each and must be affixed to each yard waste paper bag and/or tree trimming bundles for pick-up.
Where can I buy Yard Waste Stickers?
- all Evanston Jewel stores
- Lemoi Hardware
- The Chalet (Wilmette)
- Harold's Hardware
- Home Depot
- City Collector’s office
- Levy Senior Center
Special pickup fees for yard waste collection will be assessed after 48 hours for bags without stickers, three (3) bags will be charged at a rate equal to $25, with each additional three (3) bags being charged $10.
Yard Waste Carts
Alternatively, residents can have an unlimited amount of yard waste collected from a wheeled cart which can be purchased from the City for $82.50 per cart. After purchasing the yard waste cart, there is an annual fee of $25. Yard waste fees are assessed annually and will appear on your water bill.
Tree Trimming Bundles
Tree trimming bundles must be less than three (3) feet in total diameter, with individual branches being less than four (4) feet long and less than three (3) inches in diameter. Residents must affix a yard waste sticker to tree trimming bundles.
Remember, it is against the law to rake leaves into the street. For information about the yard waste program, call 311 or 847-448-4311
Backpack-mounted or hand-held gasoline-powered leaf blowers are allowed by the City for use only between March 30 and May 15 and between September 30 and the first Thursday of December during these hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Saturday, Sunday, and holidays, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Blowing or raking leaves into the street is a nuisance, and can cause flooding and block sewers. View flyer >>>
Yard waste, street cleaning, construction projects, recycling & more!
Winter Farmers' Market
Black History Month Kickoff Event
Tails in Bloom Gala
Administration and Public Works Committee Meeting
Planning & Development Committee
- City of Evanston Completes $5,000 Donation to Flint Water Fund, Community Members Encouraged to Contribute
- Sewer Repair on 1300 Block of Monroe St.
- Phase 2 of Replacing Damaged and Older Model Sanitation Carts to Begin Feb. 9
- Ryan Field West Parking Lot Reconstruction Meeting Set for Feb.10
- City of Evanston IT Service Outage Planned for Evening of February 5