- About My Place
- Building & Housing Rehab
- Emergency Preparedness & Response
- Evanston Español
- Fire Department
- LGBT Community
- New Residents
- NU Student Resources
- Parks & Recreation
- Permits & Licenses
- Planning & Zoning
- Police Department
- Property Tax Assessment
- Recycling & Waste
- Senior Services
- Youth & Young Adults
The Property Standards Division provides systematic area inspection for all non-owner occupied multi-family rental dwelling units to ensure compliance with the standard set forth in the International Code Council, 2003 edition. Copies of the Code are available for sale in the City Clerk’s Office.
The Division also responds to complaints about all properties within the City limits, such as deterioration, graffiti, debris, building conditions, abandoned buildings, illegal apartments, over-occupancy, hazardous stairways/porches, eye sores and more.
City Council adopted the International Property Maintenance Code, 2003 edition, along with
amendments on April 25, 2005.
Highlights from the amendments include:
- Weeds and grass must be maintained no higher than eight inches.
- No inoperative, unlicensed or unregistered motor vehicles, boats or trailers can be parked, kept or stored on premises, and none can be in a state of major disassembly, disrepair or in the process of being stripped or dismantled.
- Exterior and interior structure surfaces must be kept clean and free from graffiti.
- Premises, including parkways and vacant land, must have grass or other forms of approved ground cover.
- Furniture placed on the exterior of a building must be constructed for exterior use, made out of materials that are water and weather-proof and resistant to rot, mildew, mold, decay and insect infestation.
- Buildings must have approved address numbers placed plainly legible and visible from the alley as well as the street.
- From April 1 through November 1, every door, window and other outside opening utilized or required for ventilation purposes must be supplied with approved tight fitting insect screens of no less than 16 mesh per inch.
- Exterior property and premises must be kept free from any accumulation of rubbish or garbage, including parkways. (Food establishments are responsible for keeping the area within a 250 ft. radius of their properties free from litter emanating from their establishments and patrons).
- Containers servicing businesses, commercial or multi-residential premises must display the name and address of the premises they serve.
- If located in the Downtown Zoning Districts, refuse containers must be maintained with lids shut and locked.
- Tires cannot be discarded, abandoned, kept or stored on the exterior of any premises.
For further information on the Property Maintenance Code, contact the City’s Health Department at (847) 448-4311 (3-1-1) or by email.
Downtown Evanston Farmers' Market
Fall Flea Market
Robert Crown's 40th Annual Fall Flea Market
Board of Animal Control
- Some Evanston Wheel Tax Renewal Forms Will Be Resent to Correct Processing Error
- Residents Reminded to Change Clocks and Batteries in Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors as Daylight Saving Time Ends Nov. 2
- Evanston Raises Age to Purchase and Sell Tobacco from 18 to 21
- Evanston Police Department Provides 2014 Halloween Safety Tips
- Local Volunteers Make Evanston Day of Caring Event a Great Success