- New! Evanston GreenBuzz Website
- Community Choice Electricity Aggregation
- Renewable Energy
- Energy Efficiency
- Waste Reduction & Recycling
- Water Conservation
- Food Cycle
- Land Use & Development
- Community Resources
- Intern Program
Energy efficiency is one of the cornerstones of sustainability. By becoming more efficient with energy consumption through improved technology and practices, Evanston can meet its energy demand without sacrificing functionality in its pursuit of lowering the city’s environmental impact.
City Policies and Initiatives
Evanston Green Building Ordinance - Evanston adopted this ordinance December 2009, and it requires US Green Building Council (USGBC) LEED Silver certification for all new commercial and municipal construction over 10,000 square feet. Commercial and municipal renovations have a list of mandatory green features to select from.
2009 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) - adopted December 2009 Applies to all commercial and residential construction.
CUB Energy Saver - The City of Evanston has partnered with Citizens Utility Board to reduce the city’s overall energy usage. Through the CUBenergysaver.com website, participants can cut their electric bill by an average of $200 while also having the chance to win an entire year of free electricity.
Now through March 31, 2013, the City of Evanston is participating in the Nicor Gas Energy Efficiency Program Challenge, a new initiative to foster energy efficiency awareness and action within local communities. As part of the challenge, Nicor Gas will award up to $25,000 toward an energy efficiency project in each participating community. This first Nicor Gas Energy Efficiency Program Challenge will take place in Evanston and Oak Park with plans to expand to other communities in the future.
The City of Evanston's Office of Sustainability and the Evanston Community Foundation have partnered with the IFF to promote the Energy Performance Program (E2P), an energy efficiency program designed for non-profit and faith-based organizations.
This guide connects Evanston residents to local home energy experts, discounted compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs), utility payment assistance, renewable energy system financing and much more.
This guide connects Evanston building owners and operators to local energy experts and technical assistance, energy efficiency and renewable energy system rebates and grants, tax credits and much more.
ComEd Community Energy Challenge - Between June 2009 and May 2010. Evanston was selected as one of 11 municipalities to participate in the ComEd Community Energy Challenge (CEC), a pilot program designed to help municipalities develop and implement energy efficiency projects that reduce electric and natural gas use in their towns.
Evanston Porch Light Campaign - This campaign was launched in April 2010, and its goal is to encourage residents to switch their porch and outdoor lights to energy efficient lights.
City of Evanston Residential Weatherization Grant Program - launched February 2010 and provides
free weatherization services for income-qualified Evanston homes. This program has completed and is no longer accepting applicants.
- Citizens’ Greener Evanston - Citizens’ Greener Evanston offers information on how to become more energy efficient and save money on your bills.
- Chicago Center for Green Technology - CCGT promotes and advances sustainable homes, workplaces and communities to enhance the quality of urban life through educational programming and training, research and demonstration and by acting as a resource network.
- CEDA - Energy assistance and weatherization for low-income houses.
- CUB Energy Saver - The Citizens’ Utility Board Energy Saver program helps customers save money on their electric bill.
- Energy Star - Energy Star is the EPA’s program to promote energy efficient products and practices.
- GBI - The Green Building Initiative is a non-profit organization whose goal is to speed up the adoption of energy efficient buildings.
- IAER - The Illinois Association of Energy Raters is a state supported association of performance specialists trained in making your home more energy efficient.
Saving Energy Saves you Money
Site Plan Appearance and Review Committee
Plan Commission - CANCELED
Northwestern University / City Committee - CANCELED
City Clerk Office Closed From 11AM to 12PM
- Reduce Waste, Increase Recycling With New Sanitation Fee Structure
- Evanston Calls for a Voluntary Alternate Side Residential Parking Restriction on Dec. 11
- Evanston Holiday Tree Pickup Schedule
- Free Seminar to Explain How to Do Business with Large Evanston Entities
- "Shop Evanston" this Holiday Season