- Community Choice Electricity Aggregation
- Renewable Energy
- Energy Efficiency
- Waste Reduction & Recycling
- Water Conservation
- Food Cycle
- Land Use & Development
- Community Resources
- Intern Program
Solar technology allows us to harvest the abundant clean energy that comes from the sun. Developing and implementing this technology is an important step towards reducing greenhouse gases as well as stimulating the economy. There are three main types of solar technology.
Photovoltaic Cells - Photovoltaic cells convert sunlight directly into electricity and are made of semiconductors such as crystalline silicon or various thin-film materials. Photovoltaics can provide tiny amounts of power for watches, large amounts for the electric grid, and everything in between.
Concentrating Solar Technology - Concentrating solar power technologies use reflective materials to concentrate the sun's heat energy, which ultimately drives a generator to produce electricity. These technologies include dish/engine systems, parabolic troughs, and central power towers.
Solar Water Heaters - Low-temperature solar collectors also absorb the sun's heat energy, but the heat is used directly for hot water or space heating for residential, commercial, and industrial facilities.
The City of Evanston has installed a 25 kW photovoltaic system on the roof of the city’s water pumping station, which helps reduce Evanston’s reliance on carbon-based electricity.
Since its installation, the Solar PV System has generated 5.35% more electricity than initially projected.
Click here to view current electric generation along with lifetime production statistics.
• Solar & Wind Energy Rebate Program - Information related to State funding for renewable energy projects.
• Illinois Solar Energy Association - Educators and advocates for the application of solar energy in Illinois.
Saving Energy Saves you Money
Small Business & Employment Event
Mayor's Youth Task Force
It's Thursday, Let's Dance
5th Ward Meeting
Park and Recreation Board - RESCHEDULED
- Rep. Gabel & Senator Biss Town Hall Meeting June 26
- City-sponsored Summer Photo Contest Set for July 4 & August 10
- Adult Mosquito Control Operations in Northwest Evanston Set for June 19
- Laboratory Confirmed Mumps Case in Chicago Area University Student
- Recycling Fair & Equipment Display July 13