- Community Choice Electricity Aggregation
- Renewable Energy
- Energy Efficiency
- Waste Reduction & Recycling
- Water Conservation
- Food Cycle
- Land Use & Development
- Community Resources
- Intern Program
Addressing Air Quality
The Chicago metro region has been deemed a "non-attainment area," which means our air doesn't meet EPA air quality standards. The City of Evanston has taken action by joining Clean Air Counts, a six-county Chicago regional initiative of the Metropolitan Mayors Caucus, the US EPA - Region V, the City of Chicago and Illinois EPA. It seeks significant reductions in smog-forming pollutants and energy consumption.
Methods of Transportation
Biking - Evanston benefits from having multiple bike routes and paths allowing you to use your bike to your next destination. This section outlines all the options that Evanston has to offer.
Walking - Evanston is a beautiful city with many destinations located closely to one another. This section outlines the areas of Evanston that are experienced best by walking.
Transit - Instead of taking a car next time when you go grocery shopping or head off to work, consider utilizing Evanston's extensive public transportation system outlined in this section.
Driving - There are still instances where using public transportation or biking may not meet your needs, but just because you need to use a car doesn't mean that owning your own is the only option. This section outlines non-traditional options that Evanston has to offer.
City Policies and Initiatives
Multi-modal Transportation Plan (MMTP) - This plan provides long range planning strategies for accommodating all forms of transportation in Evanston.
Ordinance 70-0-96 - The City of Evanston passed this ordinance amending the Evanston City Code which regulates the use of backpack-mounted or hand-held gasoline-powered leaf blower types of machines. Use of these machines is prohibited during parts of the year.
Anti-idling Ordinance - Adopted on June 26, 2006, this ordinance prohibits standing or parked vehicles that are over 8,000 lbs. in gross weight from idling their engines for more than five minutes in any 60 minute period.
The City of Evanston uses biodiesel (B20) in all of its diesel fleet. B20 has fewer harmful emissions than regular diesel.
- Clean Air Counts - Offers a variety of air pollution reduction strategies to both businesses and residents.
- CTA - The Chicago Transit Authority provides cleaner commuting options through bus and rail service.
- Metra - Metra provides an expansive rail system that connects the entire Chicagoland area.
- iGo - Car sharing network that allows customers to rent cars whenever they need them.
- ZipCar - Car sharing network that enables its members to use a car on demand.
Plan Commission Comprehensive Plan Subcommittee
Arts Council's Arts & Business Committee
Site Plan Appearance and Review Committee - CANCELED
4th Ward Meeting
- Parts of Asbury Ave. to be Closed for Sewer Work May 28-June 14
- Water Shut-down for Fire Hydrant/Valve Repairs: 1600-1800 Blocks of Washington St.
- Evanston Gun Buyback Event Set for June 29
- Free "Discover You Can" Workshops Offered
- Temporary Traffic Control Plan on Dodge between Oakton & Greenleaf May 20-24