- New! Evanston GreenBuzz Website
- Community Choice Electricity Aggregation
- Renewable Energy
- Energy Efficiency
- Earth Day & Arbor Day
- Waste Reduction & Recycling
- Water Conservation
- Food Cycle
- Land Use & Development
- Community Resources
- Intern Program
One of the cornerstones of sustainability is water usage. Visit Water Wise 101 to get a basic understanding of the issues that face Evanston and how you can help through conservation and more efficient water use.
City Policies and Initiatives
Water Conservation and Efficiency Plan - The City of Evanston was awarded a Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) technical assistance grant to assist the City in developing a Water Conservation and Efficiency Plan. The Plan was developed over a 12-month period and the final Plan was presented to Evanston City Council on Monday, August 13th. Read more about the program here. Learn more about Evanston's Award-winning water conservation and efficiency program here.
Green Alley - In fall 2008, the City's first permeable alley was installed on the north side of Dobson St, just east of Ashland Ave. This green ally includes eight inches of porous concrete pavement that allows storm water to permeate the surface and infiltrate the soil underneath. This project will reduce flooding in buildings along the ally and keep excessive water out of the City's sewer system.
Water Ban - The City has an outdoor watering ban from May 15 through September 15, Monday through Friday from 9am to 4pm.
Resolution 20-R-10 - Adopted April 26, 2010, the City Council formally adopted a pest control and pesticide reduction policy for all city-owned and managed property.
EPA WaterSense - The City of Evanston became a partner of WaterSense in 2009. WaterSense is a program that protects water resources by promoting water efficiency and enhancing the market for water efficient products, programs, and practices.
- City of Evanston Water FAQ - The City of Evanston has a great deal of information on how to be more efficient with your water usage and how to save money on your bill.
- City of Evanston Water Pollution FAQ - The City of Evanston's tips on how to reduce water pollution.
- WaterSense - The EPA's program covering more efficient water products and usage.
- Metropolitan Water Reclamation District - MWRD offers rain barrels, which can store rain water for use later in your yard or garden, at a greatly reduced price.
Housing & Homelessness Comission
Procurement 101 Workshop
Evanston Alliance to End Violence
Meet me on the Red Carpet: Father/Daughter Dance
Evanston Children's Theatre Presents, The Musical Annie Kids!
- Evanston Maple Trees Produce Syrup, Lessons in Sustainability
- Friday Morning Lake Effect Snow Update
- Early Voting Open at the Morton Civic Center for the Suburban Cook County Consolidated Election
- Evanston Street Sweeping Begins April 1, Sign Up for Text/Email Reminders
- Attend Evanston's Spring "Coffee with a Cop" Event March 31