Water Closed at Multiple Evanston Beaches Today Due to Elevated E. Coli Levels
Due to elevated and unsafe E. coli levels, the water will be closed today at multiple Evanston beaches including Lee Street Beach, Greenwood Street Beach, Clark Street Beach, and Lincoln Street Beach. The sand will remain open.
Beaches where the water will remain open include Lighthouse and South Boulevard.
With a heat advisory in effect for today through Sunday, July 21, the City urges residents to take advantage of cooling centers in Evanston during their operating hours:
Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center, 1655 Foster St. 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday and Sunday
Gibbs-Morrison Cultural Center, 1823 Church St. 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Friday
Levy Senior Center, 300 Dodge Ave. 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday and Sunday
Noyes Cultural Arts Center, 927 Noyes St. 7:30 a.m. to 11 p.m., Friday 8:30 a.m. to 11 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sunday
Robert Crown Center, 1701 Main St. 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Friday through Sunday
Main Evanston Public Library, 1703 Orrington Ave. 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Friday and Saturday Noon to 6 p.m., Sunday
North Branch Library, 2026 Central St. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Friday and Saturday
Chicago Ave./Main St. Branch Library, 900 Chicago Ave. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Friday and Saturday
As a reminder, Residents are advised to take the following actions to prevent heat-related illnesses:
- Drink lots of water, and avoid alcohol, caffeine and high salt intake
- Stay in cool, shaded areas while outdoors, and keep the blinds drawn or lights down indoors
- Use air conditioners or fans; avoid excessive exposure to heat in unventilated areas
- Reduce physical activity
- Take cool baths or showers, and use cool towels
- Wear loose, light cotton clothing and a breathable hat
- Eat light meals; avoid eating heavy meals and using the oven
- Do not leave people or pets alone in a hot car, even for a few minutes
For more information, please call or text 847-448-4311. For convenience, residents may simply dial 311 in Evanston.