Downtown Evanston Farmers’ Market to Open May 2
The Downtown Evanston Farmers’ Market will kick off its 45th season on Saturday, May 2, 2020.
Farmers’ markets are considered to be essential businesses, as stated in Governor Pritzker’s Stay at Home Order, and serve as a key component in preserving local and regional food production and supply.
To ensure the health and safety of shoppers, vendors and staff, the City’s Health and Human Services Department has provided strict guidelines to be followed at the market during the COVID-19 pandemic, and the City will be implementing important operational changes, including:
- Face coverings will be required for all vendors and shoppers, in compliance with the Health and Human Services Department’s Face Covering Order.
- Traffic control measures will be implemented. Traffic will flow in one direction only. Entrances and exits will be defined, and the market will be remapped to facilitate physical distancing among customers and vendors. Crowds will be monitored and attendees limited by market staff.
- Produce and product handling will be allowed by vendors only until the point of sale.
- Pre-ordering online will be encouraged. Customers paying at pickup will be directed to pass their payment to the vendor using a box or tray to eliminate hand-to-hand contact. Vendors are encouraged to offer contactless payment options.
- Reusable bags will not be handled by market vendors.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be available at the market entrance and exit.
- Food consumption will not be allowed on site. Free samples will not be provided.
- Live music and activities will not be offered at the market until further notice. Spud Club children’s activities are postponed.
Those who are sick should stay home. High-risk individuals, including those over age 65 and those with underlying health conditions, are also encouraged to stay home. Families should send only one shopper to the market and should have a shopping list prepared ahead of time to limit time spent at the market.
The Market will be open every Saturday, May 2 through November 7, from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., at University Place and Oak Avenue, behind the Hilton Garden Inn. Free parking is available in the 1800 Maple Self Park Garage with ticket validation at the City of Evanston tent. Special senior hours will take place between 7 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. Those with disabilities are welcome to shop at this time.
Each week, up to 60 vendors will sell a variety of goods, including fruits, vegetables, meat, flowers, cheese, milk, eggs, baked goods and more. LINK cards are accepted at the market. LINK customers will be able to receive a match of up to $25 per Saturday.
Live animals and pets, other than service animals, are not allowed at the market.
To learn more about the Downtown Evanston Farmers' Market, please visit cityofevanston.org/