Environmental issues affect the entire community, and it will take a collaborative effort to address them effectively. Listed below are many organizations that have become available to offer information and services covering a variety of issues.
On April 29, 2017 the Trump administration removed the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Climate Change Website from the internet. In an effort to preserve this research and public information the City of Evanston joined other municipalities in linking to a replicated version of the website. Community members can access this information by visiting: cityofevanston.org/
- Citizens' Greener Evanston - Citizens' Greener Evanston acts to improve community control of our greenhouse gas emissions, and is a great resource for information on renewable energy projects.
- ISEN - The Initiative for Sustainability and Energy at Northwestern is an umbrella organization whose mission is to catalyze new science, technology, learning and policy for sustainability and energy.
- Illinois Solar Energy Association - Educators and advocates for the application of solar energy in Illinois.
- Illinois Wind Energy Association - The Illinois Wind Energy Association was founded in early 2007 to represent the needs of the growing wind energy industry in Illinois.
- Citizens' Greener Evanston - Citizens' Greener Evanston offers information on how to become more energy efficient and save money on your bills.
- CEDA - Energy assistance and weatherization for low-income houses.
- CUB Energy Saver - The Citizens' Utility Board Energy Saver program helps customers save money on their electric bill.
- Energy Star - Energy Star is the EPA's program to promote energy efficient products and practices.
- GBI - The Green Building Initiative is a non-profit organization whose goal is to speed up the adoption of energy efficient buildings.
- MHPA - The Midwest Home Performance Association is a state supported association of performance specialists trained in making your home more energy efficient.
- CTA - The Chicago Transit Authority provides cleaner commuting options through bus and rail service.
- Metra - Metra provides an expansive rail system that connects the entire Chicagoland area.
- Enterprise CarShare (formerly iGO) - Car sharing network that allows customers to rent cars whenever they need them.
- ZipCar - Car sharing network that enables its members to use a car on demand.
Waste Reduction & Recycling
- SWANCC - The Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County provides information on waste collection and recycling options.
- Earth911 - Earth911 offers easily obtainable information on recycling information.
- Groot - Groot is Evanston's commercial waste hauler and the organization you should call if you are a multifamily home or business that wishes to start recycling service at your location.
- City of Evanston - The City of Evanston has a great deal of information on how to be more efficient with your water usage and how to save money on your bill.
- WaterSense - The EPA's program covering more efficient water products and usage.
- Farmers' Markets - The City of Evanston hosts Farmers' Markets every Saturday between May and November which showcases over 30 different vendors selling a variety of goods.
- Slow Food Chicago - A volunteer network within the Chicagoland area that seeks to create lasting change in the local food system.
- The Talking Farm - The Talking Farm's mission is to cultivate healthy, sustainable communities by supporting the production and appreciation of locally grown food.