At the January 22, 2019 Rules Committee, a request was made to form an ad hoc committee charged with a review of the City Code of Ethics, related sections of the City Council Rules and the administration of the Board of Ethics. The subcommittee will review issues and report back its findings and recommendations to the Rules Committee at its April 1, 2019 meeting.
A preliminary list of issues that may be reviewed by the subcommittee are:
- Use of profanity by members of the public and City Council members during public meetings;
- City Council Rules provisions related to the Mayor or Aldermen voting on Ethics Code violations brought forth against an individual and considered by the Rules Committee or City Council;
- City payment of legal fees for the Mayor or Aldermen appearing before the Ethics Board;
- Board of Ethics staffing and the retention of outside counsel;
- Consideration of creating two codes of ethics for elected officials and staff; and
- Lobbying issues raised by residents.
Alderman Judy Fiske
Alderman Donald Wilson
Alderman Peter Braithwaite
Alderman Thomas Suffredin
Wally Bobkiewicz, City Manager
Mario Treto, Jr., Deputy City Attorney
Shanalee Gallagher, ICMA Fellow