Board, Committee and Commission volunteers impact every corner of our community and greatly advance our shared vision of making Evanston "the most livable city in America."
As a citizen of Evanston, you are strongly encouraged to submit an application for appointment because the impact of BCCs is only possible due to the engagement of our thoughtful and committed citizenry.
Thank you for your willingness to serve.
Stephen H. Hagerty
Mayor, City of Evanston
Board, Commission, or Committee Application Process
If you are interested in applying to be on a Board, Commission or Committee, please review the process and submit your application.
- View a list of the City of Evanston's Boards, Commissions, and Committees and learn more about BCC purpose, staffing and archive meeting materials. Download the City of Evanston BCC Handbook.
- Submit an Application: Online application (If applying for the Police Advisory Committee, please use this application form)
- or - Print/download the BCC Paper Applicationand submit to Civic Center via email, fax ( 847.866.2978) or standard mail. Mail: Lorraine Morton Civic Center, Attn: Mayor's Office, 2100 Ridge Avenue Evanston, Illinois 60201
- Prior to your name is submitted for appointment, you will receive a phone call to reconfirm your interest.
- The appointment process requires two City Council meetings: one to submit your name for review, and a second one to confirm your appointment.
- After your appointment has been approved you will receive a welcome packet from the City Clerk including required forms to be completed and submitted.
- After those forms are completed and returned, you will a confirmatory letter from the Mayor detailing name the Board, Commission or Committee to which you have been appointed and your term dates.
- The City staff person responsible for our committee will inform you of the committee meeting schedules and any pertinent information you may need. 8. Please read and review the City of Evanston Boards Commissions and Committees Member Handbook
It is the responsibility of the Mayor of Evanston to review applications and recommend appointments to Boards, Committees and Commissions. All applications are kept on file for consideration when openings occur. Appointment applications are presented to the City Council for consideration and approval. After City Council approval, citizens begin their service to our community. Attempts are made to make appointments that represent the diverse population of Evanston.
Applications are considered by the Mayor on the basis of: (a) Openings (b) Date received and (c) qualifications for the appointment sought.