Building and Inspection Services offers ONLINE PAYMENT for the following items:
- Building Permit
- Building Re-Inspection
- Building Contractor Registration
The Building and Inspection Services Division provides for the enforcement of the City's adopted Building Codes. Division functions include review of building plans and documents, permit issuance, and construction inspections.
Building Permit Desk:
2100 Ridge Avenue Room 3510
Allowable Construction Hours:
Monday - Friday: 7:00am-7:00pm
Sunday: Work not allowed
The City of Evanston has adopted the following 2012 International Code Council Model Codes with the additions, deletions, exceptions, and other amendments set forth in Title 4 of the City Code.
- 2012 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2012 International Residential Code for One and Two Family Dwellings (IRC)
- 2012 International Mechanical Code
- 2012 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2011 National Electric Code (NFPA 70)
- 2012 NFPA Life Safety Code 101
- 2012 International Fire Code
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code
ICC code books and electronic versions are available for purchase from the International Code Council. The 2012 International Fire Code, NFPA Life Safety Code, and 2011 National Electric Code are all available free online from the National Fire Protection Association. Hard copies of all codes are available for review at the permit desk and the Evanston Public Library.
The City of Evanston also enforces the following State of Illinois codes. These are available online from the Illinois Capital Development Board:
- Illinois Plumbing Code
- Illinois Accessibility Code
- Illinois Energy Conservation Code (2015 IECC and ASHRAE Standard 90.1 with CDB amendments)
Check with the Illinois EPA for all construction related environmental issues and permits.