On September 17, City Council approved a 12-month contract that began on October 1, 2018 with the Metropolitan Tenants Organization (MTO) and Lawyers Committee for Better Housing (LCBH). MTO is assisting residents with landlord-tenant inquiries through its hotline and Evanston’s 311 system. MTO's hotline number is 773-292-4988. The hotline has live operators Monday through Friday, from 1-5 p.m. Outside of those hours, callers can leave a message and someone from MTO will get back to them within two business days. In addition, MTO is partnering with LCBH for legal consultation services. This collaboration with LCBH will more effectively help low-income tenants avoid displacement through free legal representation in eviction cases and illegal lockouts.
MTO will be holding office hours at the Evanston Public Library (1703 Orrington Ave) to assist residents with landlord-tenant inquiries on the following dates and times for the remainder of 2018 (2019 dates/times will be determined at a later date):
- Friday, November 2, 2-6 p.m.
- Friday, November 9, 2-6 p.m.
- Saturday, November 10, 2-6 p.m.
- Friday, November 16, 2-6 p.m.
- Saturday, November 17, 2-6 p.m.
- Friday, November 30, 2-6 p.m.
- Friday, December 7, 2-6 p.m.
- Saturday, December 8, 2-6 p.m.
- Friday, December 14, 2-6 p.m.
- Friday, December 21, 2-6 p.m.
- Friday, December 28, 2-6 p.m.