Annually, the City of Evanston's Preservation Commission invites home owners, architects, contractors and Evanston residents to nominate preservation projects for the Evanston Preservation & Design Awards.
This program is aimed at recognizing property owners, architects, contractors and local organizations for their contribution to maintaining and enhancing the architectural, historical and cultural heritage of the City of Evanston through construction projects in the following categories:
- Sensitive Addition/Alteration: a project that successfully integrated an addition/alteration within the architectural style of a main house or building and complements the context and character of a historic district, neighborhood or specific area.
- Adaptive Reuse: a project that creatively achieved the reuse of an existing structure originally used for another purpose. The project must have undertaken at least substantial rehabilitation.
- Appropriate New Construction: a new house, building or structure that, through its design and use of building materials, enhances the quality of the built environment. The project must have a positive impact on its immediate surroundings, including historic district, neighborhood or specific area.
- Proper Rehabilitation/Restoration: a project that has closely followed the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for The Treatment of Historic Properties and its Guidelines for Preserving, Rehabilitating, Restoring and Reconstructing Buildings (landmarks and non-landmark contributing/significant buildings citywide are eligible).
- Innovative Solutions in Preservation: Showing sensitive and creative solutions incorporating issues of sustainability, adaptive reuse and integration of accessibility improvements.
- Life Achievement/Preservationist of the Year: this award is given to an individual who has demonstrated a sustained commitment to the preservation movement for the benefit of the City of Evanston through his/her work or volunteerism. This is a new category this year.
Projects must have been completed within the last five years. Recipients of the award will be notified in advance of the actual date, time and place of the 2018 Preservation and Design Awards ceremony. Nominations are due by Friday April 6, 2018. For more information, contact Carlos D. Ruiz, Preservation Coordinator at 847-448-4311 or email@example.com
PAST AWARDS PRESENTATIONS:
2018 Preservation & Design Awards Recipients (Video Presentation Coming soon)