The primary responsibility of the Zoning Office staff is to administer and enforce the Zoning Ordinance (Title 6 of the Evanston City Code).
This includes reviewing all proposals and applications for compliance, processing applications for zoning relief (for example, variances), providing zoning information about properties, and explaining how zoning regulations apply to proposed developments. The Zoning Office reviews all building permit applications and business licenses for compliance. Staff is available by appointment to review development concepts and to discuss possible uses at a specific site.
How to find the ZONING DISTRICT for a property:
Click here to use About My Place. Enter the address of the property, and press Get Info. A page of information about the property will be displayed. The Zoning Code will be shown near the center of the page.
The Zoning Office provides the following services. Applications are available online or in our office. To download applications, click on links below. More detailed information may be found on our new Zoning Applications page.
- Zoning Analysis Application
- Minor Variations
- Major Variations
- Family Necessity Variation
- Fence Variations
- Planned Developments
- Certificates of Zoning Compliance
- Special Use Permits
- Statement of Restaurant Use
- Garage & Yard Sale Permits
- Home Occupation Permits
- Use Interpretations
- Text Amendments (ordinance changes)
- Map Amendments (rezoning)
- Design and Project Review Committee Scheduling
- Subdivision Approvals
- Zoning Fee Schedule - 1/1/2018
Online Forms - Apply Now!
- Zoning Analysis Application (Credit Card)
- Zoning Appeal Application
- Zoning Major Home Occupation Application
- Zoning Map Amendment Application
- Zoning Ordinance Text Amendment Application
- Zoning Special Use Application
- Zoning Statement of Restaurant Use Application
To reach a member of the Zoning Staff directly, please contact Zoning Planner Melissa Klotz or Development Planner Michael Griffith at 847-448-4311.
How to find the ZONING REGULATIONS for a Zoning District:
Use the City Code. The Zoning Ordinance is Title 6.
Zoning District Summary Sheets
General Information on each zoning districts can be found below: