One of the first and most important steps to becoming prepared for a disaster is to make a basic plan. Preparing and knowing what needs to be done in an emergency will make steps go faster and make you safer.
- Decide who will do what. Make sure every person in the family knows what they need to do in a disaster.
- Draw a map of your home showing important areas and the fastest way to get out.
- Agree on a place away from your home where you can all agree to meet if you get lost from one another in case you need to evacuate.
- Ask a friend or relative to be a contact person for family members should you get separated.
- Put emergency phone numbers by every phone, save them in every cell phone and memorize important numbers in case they need to be used.
- Be responsible and find out if elderly or disabled neighbors could use your help in the event of a disaster.
- Make sure your insurance is up-to-date. Regularly take pictures of your house for your records should anything happen to your possession.