Carbon Monoxide

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless deadly gas. It is virtually unrecognizable; it can do its damage before you realize it’s there.

Carbon Monoxide can be present whenever fuel is burned. Common household appliances, such as gas or oil furnaces, clothes dryers, ranges, ovens, water heaters, uneven space heaters, fireplaces, charcoal grills, and wood burning stoves can produce it. Even fumes from automobiles contain Carbon Monoxide. They can enter the home through walls or doorways if a car is left running in an attached garage.

Furnace heat exchangers can crack; vents and chimneys can become blocked, disconnected or corroded; inadequate air supply for combustion appliances can cause build ups of Carbon Monoxide in the home.

If a home is well ventilated and no air pressure fluctuations or venting or chimney blockages exist, carbon monoxide usually seeps safely outside.

Protection from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - It's the Law

Carbon Monoxide detectors must be installed within fifteen feet (15') of each room used for sleeping. Detectors should be listed by a testing agency such as Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL). For extra safety, choose a self-powered, extra sensitive unit that responds to lower levels of carbon monoxide and protects during a power outage.

The Carbon Monoxide alarm may be combined with smoke detecting devices provided that the combined unit complies with the respective provisions of the City Code, is listed for such use, and emits an alarm in a manner that clearly differentiates the hazard.