The City of Evanston suggests a 10 pound ABC type fire extinguisher be available in every home. The extinguisher must include an inspection task. It should be located in area where a person would not have to travel more than 75 feet to retrieve it.
How to Use A Portable Extinguisher
To properly use a fire extinguisher, the Evanston Fire Department recommends using the acronym, P. A. S. S. =
P……Pull the pin.
A……Aim the extinguisher nozzle at the base of the flames.
S……Squeeze the trigger while holding the extinguisher upright.
S……Sweep the extinguisher from side to side, covering the area of the fire with the extinguishing agent.
The department offers these tips so the immediate action can be taken on small fires, but if the situation is growing out of control contact 9-1-1.
- Should your path your path of escape be threatened
- Should the extinguisher run out of agent
- Should the extinguisher prove to be ineffective
- Should you no longer be able to safely fight the fire
……..THEN LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY AND SEEK HELP!
Tips for an accessible Fire Extinguisher:
- Extinguishers with a gross weight less than 40 pounds, should be installed so the top of the extinguisher is not more than 5 feet from the ground
- Extinguishers with a gross weight greater than 40 pounds, shall be installed so the top of the extinguisher is not more than 3 ½ feet above the ground,
- Extinguisher should always be at least 4 inches above the ground