Permits will be issued for the locations given below. To obtain a permit, click on the location you would like, read the instructions and regulations pertaining to that location, then fill out the application on-line.
PLEASE NOTE: Lakefront Fire Circle applicants must call the Evanston Ecology Center at 847-448-8256, secure an available date, and pay the appropriate fee. Northwestern Fire Circle applicants must contact the Office of Special Events.
For questions, please call 847-866-5918 during business hours.
Evanston Fire Department Rules for Open Burning
- Lakefront Fire Circle applicants must call the Evanston Ecology Center at 847-448-8256, secure an available date, and pay the appropriate fee. Northwestern Fire Circle applicants must contact the Office of Special Events.
- A Open Burn Permit must be obtained from the Evanston Fire Department, Fire Prevention Bureau. This can be initiated by reading these rules and agreeing to follow them, then selecting the "agree" choice below.
- Fire pans shall not exceed five feet in diameter.
- The location for any open burning shall not be less than 50 feet from any structure.
- Open burns shall be constantly attended until the fire is completely extinguished.
- Fire extinguishing equipment shall be available for immediate use. It shall be at least one (1) A.B.C. portable fire extinguisher with a minimum rating of 4 A. Extinguisher must be located on the site or a water hose.
- No person shall come into contact with the fire, embers, or coals.
- No burning is allowed after 11 pm.
If you understand and agree with these rules, please indicate as such below. The "Agree" button will take you to the application form.
Fill out the form online. When completed, select "submit" and your application will be sent to the Fire Department.