The Office of Vital Records will be closed August 17.
We apologize for the inconvenience. The nearest location for services is the Cook County Clerk's Office located at 5600 Old Orchard Road, Skokie, IL 60077.
The Office of Vital Records issues certified copies of birth and death certificates for birth or deaths occurring in Evanston with certain restrictions.
Effective January 1, 2015, Birth and Death Certificate rates are as follows:
- Birth Certificates: $15 for the first copy; $4 for each additional copy ordered at the same time.
- Death Certificates: $17 for the first copy; $6 for each additional copy ordered at the same time.
LOCATION: Room 1100, 1st Floor, Lorraine H. Morton Civic Center, 2100 Ridge Avenue
HOURS OF OPERATION: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., closed for lunch 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m.
BIRTH CERTIFICATES will be issued only to the following upon presentation of acceptable identification:
- The person named on the record if at least 18 years old.
- A parent named on the record.
- The legal representative of the person named on record with the proper documentation (i.e. spouse or attorney).
- Legal Guardian (with proof of guardianship).
Departments of Federal, State or Municipal government.
BIRTH CERTIFICATES may be requested by mail (using below printable form), online, or in person at the Office of Vital Records. Note the following requirements:
- Provide the Request for Birth Certificate completed in full.
- Include a legible copy of your valid photo ID. REQUIRED
- Include $15 for the first certificate and $4 for each additional certificate.
- Make checks and money orders payable to CITY OF EVANSTON.
- Provide a daytime phone number.
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- Allow 3 weeks for processing with the City of Evanston and additional processing time for delivery (average 10-14 business days).
- Visit or send requests to: Evanston Office of Vital Records, 2100 Ridge Avenue, Suite 1100, Evanston, IL 60201
Acceptable Forms of Identification
Column A OR Column B
|One of the following Is required:||Two of the following are required:|
To apply online go to: Request for Birth Certificate
Printable application - click here: Request for Birth Certificate.2018 (English)
Death Certificates (Temporary License)
The Office of Vital Records can provide a legal copy of a death certificate for a death that occurred in Evanston from 1992 to the present. Beginning January 1, 2015, rates are $17 for the first copy and $6 per additional copy. NOTE: Only Evanston death records from 1992 to the present are available in the Evanston Office of Vital Records.
Fee: (each time you order) - $17.00 for first copy, $6.00 for each additional copy
Attention Funeral Directors -a $30 fee for a 25 Day Temporary License is required before Certificate will be issued.
To apply and pay online go to: Request for Death Certificate/Temporary Funeral License
Printable applications - click here: Request for Death Certificate/Temporary Funeral License (English)
Note: For Cook County marriage certificate please visit Cook County Clerk's Office, Office of Vital Statistics.
Annual License - Funeral Director/Undertaker
Fee: $150 (after July 1, the prorated license fee for the current year is $75)
This license application is for an annual license, it is not for a temporary license to order death certificates.
To apply and pay online go to: Annual Funeral Director/Undertaker License
Printable application - click here: Annual Funeral Director-Undertaker License Application
After Hours Communication
For after hours communicable disease or bioterrorism emergencies, please call 847-448-4311 and stay on the line to be connected to someone immediately.