Food Pantries and Soup Kitchens
Evanston Vineyard Food Pantry
Vineyard Christian Church
Hours: Wednesday, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Address: 2495 Howard Street, Evanston, IL 60202
Phone: (847) 328-4544
Food Assistance Center of Evanston
Hemenway United Methodist Church
Hours: Every 2nd and 4th Friday, 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM
Address: 933 Chicago Ave, Evanston, IL 60202
Phone: (847) 328-2600
Hillside Food Pantry
Hillside Free Methodist Church
Hours: Wednesday, 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM; Saturday, 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Address: 2727 Crawford Ave, Evanston, IL 60201
Phone: (847) 328-7182
Robert Crown Community Center
Hours: 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Every 2nd Tuesday, 5/14, 6/11, 7/9, 8/13, 9/10, 10/8 & 11/12/2019
Address: 1701 Main Street, Evanston, IL 60202
Free transportation is available. For more information, click here.
Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center
Hours: 3:30 - 5:00 PM
Three (3) Dates Only: 4/23, 5/28 & 6/25/2019
1655 Foster St, Evanston, IL 847-448-4311
Hours: Friday 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM
Address: 1403 Sherman Ave, Evanston, IL 60201
Phone: (847) 866-9770
For a schedule of soup kitchens and more information, please click here.
Federal Food Assistance Programs
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
SNAP is a federal benefit program to low-income income families and individuals who demonstrate financial need. SNAP-eligible citizens purchase food with an Illinois Link card, which is used like a debit card. For more information and to apply, please visit the Illinois Department of Human Services website.
SNAP/EBT Retailers in Evanston
- Aldi (2211 Oakton St)
- CVS (101 Asbury Ave; 3333 Cental St; 1711 Sherman Ave)
- C&W Market and Ice Cream Parlor (1901 Church Street)
- Davis Pantry (927 Davis St)
- D & D Finer Foods (825 Noyes St)
- Delta Discount (800 Main St)
- Dollar Tree (1928 Dempster St)
- Evanston Farmer's Market (Oak & East Railroad)
- Evanston Gas & Food, Inc (101 Ridge Ave)
- Food 4 Less Midwest (2400 Main St)
- Gordon Food Service (2424 Oakton)
- J.D. Mills Health Food (635 Chicago Ave)
- Jewel (1128 Chicago Ave & 2485 Howard St)
- J&S Food Mart (701 Howard St)
- Oakton Shell (2492 Oakton St)
- Open Pantry (821 Dempster St)
- Sam's Club (2450 Main St)
- 7-Eleven (817 Davis St; 847 Dodge Ave)
- Target (2209 Howard St; 1616 Sherman Ave)
- Trader Joe's (1211 Chicago Ave)
- Valero (443 Asbury Ave)
- Valli Produce (1910 Dempster St)
- Walgreens (635 Chicago Ave; 900 Dodge Ave; 2100 Green Bay Rd)
- Whole Foods (1640 Chicago Ave; 2748 Green Bay Rd)
Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
WIC is a federal grant program that provides assistance to low-income and nutritionally at-risk populations including pregnant women, breastfeeding women, infants up to age one (1), and children up to age five (5). For more information, visit the USDA Food and Nutrition Service website. To apply for WIC, please call the Evanston CEDA office to schedule an appointment:
CEDA - Evanston
Address: 2010 Dewey Avenue, Evanston, IL 60201, 2nd floor, Room 213
Phone: (847) 328-3511
Hours: Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Health and Nutrition Resources
Imperfect Produce is a company that sells fresh fruits and vegetables that would otherwise be discarded due to aesthetic imperfections at a low cost. Boxes can be customized and come in four sizes. Best of all, it's delivered right to your door. SNAP/EBT eligible folks receive 33% off of their boxes.
USDA website with educational material pertaining to healthy eating habits, including the five food groups, serving sizes, recipes, menus, printable materials, and much more.
Basic information about most questions regarding nutrition from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
A list of healthier alternatives for popular foods to help lead a healthy lifestyle.
ReThink Your Drink is a city-wide initiative to encourage the community to make better drinking choices. This page on the City of Evanston's website provides information and resources to guide you to healthier drinking habits.
The complete eighth edition (2015-2020) of dietary guidelines for Americans.
After Hours Communication
For after hours communicable disease or bioterrorism emergencies, please call 847-448-4311 and stay on the line to be connected to someone immediately.