Places where smoking is prohibited:
- All businesses, including all restaurants, bars, and sidewalk cafes;
- All public enclosed areas, all workplaces, all schools;
- Beaches, playgrounds and tot lots;
- Public transit (buses, el, and Metra) stops and platforms;
- All common areas in apartment buildings and condominiums and housing cooperatives; and
- Within 25 feet of any entrance to an enclosed area in which smoking is prohibited.
Smoking is not regulated in:
- Private residences except when used as a licensed child care, adult care, or health care facilities, or a home-based business open to the public, "provided that smoke from these places does not infiltrate into areas where smoking is prohibited" in the Evanston Clean Air Act - Smoking;
- Up to 25% of hotel or motel sleeping rooms;
- Retail tobacco stores; and
- Private clubs or lodges.
Enforcement is on a complaint basis by calling the City's 311 Center, (847) 448-4311. Violators of this law will face a fine of $100 to $500 for each day a violation occurs.
After Hours Communication
For after hours communicable disease or bioterrorism emergencies, please call 847-448-4311 and stay on the line to be connected to someone immediately.