The Property Standards Division provides systematic area inspection for all non-owner occupied single and multi-family rental dwelling units to ensure compliance with the standard set forth in the International Code Council, 2012 edition as adopted and amended by the City of Evanston.
The Division also responds to complaints about all properties within the including commercial and residential structures, graffiti, debris, building conditions, vacant buildings, illegal apartments, over-occupancy, hazardous stairways/porches, debris & trash, abandoned vehicles, illegal signs, and illegal dumping.
City Council adopted the International Property Maintenance Code, 2012 edition, along with amendments on May 27, 2014.
Highlights from the amendments include:
- Weeds and grass must be maintained no higher than eight inches.
- No inoperative, unlicensed or unregistered motor vehicles, boats or trailers can be parked, kept or stored on premises, and none can be in a state of major disassembly, disrepair or in the process of being stripped or dismantled.
- Exterior and interior structure surfaces must be kept clean and free from graffiti.
- Premises, including parkways and vacant land, must have grass or other forms of approved ground cover.
- Furniture placed on the exterior of a building must be constructed for exterior use, made out of materials that are water and weather-proof and resistant to rot, mildew, mold, decay and insect infestation.
- Buildings must have approved address numbers placed plainly legible and visible from the alley as well as the street.
- From April 1 through November 1, every door, window and other outside opening utilized or required for ventilation purposes must be supplied with approved tight fitting insect screens of no less than 16 mesh per inch.
- Exterior property and premises must be kept free from any accumulation of rubbish or garbage, including parkways. (Food establishments are responsible for keeping the area within a 250 ft. radius of their properties free from litter emanating from their establishments and patrons).
- Containers servicing businesses, commercial or multi-residential premises must display the name and address of the premises they serve.
- If located in the Downtown Zoning Districts, refuse containers must be maintained with lids shut and locked.
- Tires cannot be discarded, abandoned, kept or stored on the exterior of any premises.
Violation Correction Incentive!
Lemoi Ace Hardware is offering a 20% discount to property owners who are cited with a Property Maintenance Violation. You must bring your notice and violation list to the store to receive 20% off NON-SALE merchandise.
For further information on the Property Maintenance Code, contact the City’s Health & Human Services Department at (847) 448-4311 (3-1-1) or by email.
After Hours Communication
For after hours communicable disease or bioterrorism emergencies, please call 847-448-4311 and stay on the line to be connected to someone immediately.