Church St. Boat Ramp
The Church St. Boat Ramp is for the launching of power boats, personal motorized watercrafts and large sailboats.
For the 2020 season, the ramp is open as of May 22nd and will close in late October, depending on weather and dredging conditions.
A season launch permit must be purchased for each boat/vessel you would like to launch. Evanston resident boat owners are required to show proof of residency to obtain resident rates. Daily launch permits are not available.
Along with your season launch permit, you also receive a gate card to access the Church St. Boat Ramp parking lot and a hang tag to be able to park your vehicle with the trailer in the lot, if spaces are available.
Season Launch Permits
Season launch permits go on sale April 1, 2020.
Season launch permit rates: $325 Resident / $600 Non-Resident
**Due to the closure of most City of Evanston recreation facilities, season launch permits are only available to purchase in person at the Dempster St. Beach Office, 1251 Lakeshore Blvd. The Beach Office is open daily from 10:00 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Church St. Boat Ramp information and application for the 2020 season: Church St. Boat Ramp Season Information & Application
The Clean Marina Initiative
The Clean Marina Initiative is a voluntary, incentive-based program that encourages marina operators and recreational boaters to protect coastal water quality by engaging in environmentally sound operating and maintenance procedures. The Illinois Clean Marina Program offers information, guidance, and technical assistance to marina operators, local governments, and recreational boaters on Best Management Practices (BMPs) that can be used to prevent or reduce pollution. Marinas that participate in the Clean Marina Program are recognized for their environmental stewardship.
On February 23, 2018, both the Church St. Boat Ramp and the Dempster St. Launch Facility were certified by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources for meeting the criteria of the Illinois Clean Marina program.
Dempster St. Launch Facility
The Dempster St. Launch Facility is for the launching, retrieval and storage of non-motorized vessels, small sailboats (sunfish, laser, etc.), catamarans, windsurfing boards, canoes, stand up paddle boards and kayaks. Only approved and permitted vessels may launch at this facility. Boats must be light enough to be carried across the sand. Limited parking is adjacent to the facility.
The facility officially opens on June 1, 2020 and closes on October 25, 2020.
The facility hours are 9am- Dusk.
Dempster St. Launch Facility information and application for the 2020 season: Dempster St Launch Facility Information & Application
Renewing or Moving Your Storage Spot for Returning Users
Renewing your storage spot
- Please e-mail email@example.com that you would like to renew the space you rented for 2019.
- Once you confirm that you would like to renew your storage space(s), you will be e-mailed a receipt showing the space(s) has been rented for 2020 and the amount due.
- The deadline to renew is Monday, March 9.
- There are 2 ways to pay the balance for your storage space(s):
- Online - Log into your account and click on "Pay Old Balances" under the My Account tab.
- By phone or in person at the Parks, Recreation and Community Services office at the Civic Center or any of our recreation centers.
- The balance must be paid by Monday, March 16 at 5pm, otherwise, the space(s) will not be renewed and you would have to register for the Move List to keep a storage space.
- If you had an additional Dempster St. Launch only pass, you will have to fill out the application in the packet.
Changing your storage spot
- Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org requesting to be registered for the Dempster St. Move List.
- The deadline to register for the move list is Wednesday, March 18 at 5pm.
- You, or a representative, will need to attend a meeting on Thursday, March 19 at 6pm in the Locust Room of the Levy Senior Center, 300 Dodge Ave., to pick your new spot.
- After your new spot is selected, you will be required to pay the full storage fee.
Directions for signing up for the storage waitlist for new users
To register online for the vessel-specific wait list for a new combo launch/storage permit, use the following class numbers:
Class #753906 A-E (residents; 60201 & 60202 zip codes)
Class #753907 A-E (non-residents)
To register online, you must sign in with your account or create a new one. Once logged in, you can search for the above class numbers to register for the waitlist.
Once you register for the appropriate waitlist, you will move up as boaters ahead of you get permits.
Staff will assign open spots to boaters, using the waitlist.
Dempster Daily Launch Permits
**Due to the current stay at home order and new capacity restrictions we will not be selling daily launch permits for the 2020 season.