The City of Evanston invites all local businesses to participate in the Age-Friendly Business Initiative.
Why should businesses strive to be age-friendly?
Older adults are the fastest-growing segment of the population in the country. Businesses that adapt their services and environment help older adults age actively and independently, while also expanding their revenue and customer base. Age-Friendly Evanston is launching an Age-Friendly Business campaign to recognize businesses that are making an extra effort for their older adult customers. We invite you to become one of the first businesses in your community to be recognized as Age-Friendly.
Your participation is important!
By actively engaging in age-friendly business practices and helping us build an age-friendly business community:
- You will better serve all customers, not just older adults, which makes Evanston a great place to grow up and grow old.
- Word of mouth recognition will make other potential customers aware of your stand-out business.
- Other businesses will become more aware of best practices, encouraging them to also adopt an age-friendly perspective.
Each of the following are in the final stages of becoming an Age-Friendly Business, but need your feedback to confirm their age-friendliness:
|• Argentium Care (formerly SASI)||• Backlot Coffee||• Becky & Me Toys
||• Center for Independent Futures
|• Cultivate Urban Rainforest & Gallery||• Curt's Cafe - Central Street||• Doc Able's Auto Clinic||
• Evanston Art Center
|• Evanston Stitchworks||• Hip Circle Empowerment Center
||• Institute for Therapy Through the Arts
||• Kratos Strength Systems
|• Lapin Systems||• Minasian Rug Company
||• Preston's Flowers & Gifts
||• The C.G. Jung Center
|• Virag Jewelers
||• Walsh Natural Health|
- After your visit, call 847-448-2919 to provide feedback on your experience.
If you would like your business to be considered for Age-Friendly Business status, please complete the following steps:
- Review the Age-Friendly Business Resource Guide.
- Complete the Age-Friendly Business Checklist.
- Once you have completed the Checklist, you will be contacted by a representative of the Age-Friendly Evanston Task Force to schedule a free collaborative consultation regarding low- or no-cost ways to make changes in your business to best accommodate this customer base, ultimately making your business more inviting to all.
- The final step in becoming an Age-Friendly Business entails having your checklist reviewed by secret shoppers! After your free collaborative consultation, your business will be visited by secret shoppers who will review their experience. If their experience matches your checklist self-report, your business will be granted the designation of being an Age-Friendly Business!
What do businesses receive when they have been designated by the City of Evanston as Age-Friendly?
- More visibility to older customers and the general public.
- Promotion of age-friendly features to current and potential customers .
- Window decals acknowledging the City of Evanston's recognition of your business as age-friendly.
- Opportunities for business to host special events, in conjunction with the City, to promote and advertise age-friendly status.
- Advertisement of business' age-friendly status on the City's website as well as to age-friendly community partners and organizations.
Enjoy the following discounts at businesses currently participating in the Age-Friendly Business Initiative:
|Argentium Care (formerly SASI)||Sliding scale for services|
|Becky & Me Toys||10% off, first Tuesday of every month|
|Center for Independent Futures||Scholarships available|
|Cultivate Urban Rainforest & Gallery||$10 off purchases of $50 or more, Tuesdays in May|
|Curt's Café – Central Street||5% off, anytime|
|Doc Able's Auto Clinic||Save 10% on parts, any day|
|Evanston Art Center||$5 off membership; discounts on classes for members|
|Evanston Stitchworks||10% off goods on Tuesdays|
|Hip Circle Empowerment Center||Sliding scale for services|
|Institute for Therapy through the Arts||Sliding scale for services|
|Lapin Systems||$10 off standard diagnostics during the month of May|
|Preston's Flowers & Gifts||20% off products in-store and delivery (excluding delivery fees)|
|The C.G. Jung Center||Sliding scale for services|
|Virag Jewelers||20% off all in-stock merchandise on Wednesday, May 15th|
|Walsh Natural Health||20% off purchases from May 3rd through May 5th