The City provides, by contractor, recycling, trash and composting service to Evanston businesses and commercial properties through two programs, the Commercial Solid Waste Franchise and the Commercial Composting Program.
The Commercial Solid Waste Franchise was established in 2008, and gives the City the authority to select one contractor through a competitive public process and negotiate rates for all buildings covered by the franchise. The current franchise agreement is held by Groot Industries and will expire in October, 2020.
The Commercial Composting Program was developed in 2017 and will expire in October, 2022. The current provider is Collective Resource, a woman-owned and Evanston-owned business that also provides residential composting services, details of which can be found on the Residential Services page.
Return to the Trash, Recycling, and Yard Waste Services main page.
Collective Resource (Food Waste Only)
As of November 1, 2017, all Evanston properties including businesses and commercial properties are eligible to receive food waste composting service through the City’s exclusive hauler, Collective Resource. Interested businesses and organizations can sign up online.
- If you are interested in signing up for the food scrap composting service, contact Collective Resource directly by either filling out their contact form, or call Collective Resource directly at 847-733-7665.
- The City is proud partner with Collective Resource to offer this food scrap composting service, which supports the City’s sustainability and climate action goals by diverting food waste from the landfill.
- Collective Resource offers both a 5-gallon bucket service and a 32-gallon cart service. They provide collection schedules that are flexible, including daily through once-a-month pick-up frequency depending on your needs. Typically, residential customers receive 5-gallon buckets and commercial or institutional customers will contract for a 32-gallon cart service.
- For a full list of what materials are and are not accepted in the program and how to properly prepare materials for pick-up please see the FAQ below or visit the Food Waste Do's and Don'ts.
- To learn more about the service, service rates and to sign-up, visit: www.collectiveresource.us
What buildings are included in the Commercial Solid Waste Franchise?
Buildings covered by the Commercial Solid Waste Franchise include:
- Commercial businesses
- Mixed use residential and commercial buildings (any building, of any size that contains both residential (condos or apartments) and commercial tenants)
- Office buildings
- Apartment buildings that are greater than 6 units
Exemptions are granted on a case by case basis by the City’s Public Works Agency by calling 311 and asking for Paul D’Agostino, Bureau Chief of Environmental Services.
The simplest way to determine whether or not your building or property is covered by the Commercial Solid Waste Franchise is to look at your invoice. If your invoice and service is provided by Groot Industries and your property is commercial, a business, institutional or a multi-family apartment residence greater than 6 units, it is likely you are covered by the franchise contract.
What are the service prices for trash and recycling services?
Rates for the renegotiated contract change annually and current rates may be found below for recycling, trash, roll off dumpster, and compactors. To find the rate of these services first locate your property's container size on the first column of the table and then cross reference with the first row of the table with the number of collections your property receives weekly. Please note that all prices provides are the monthly price for a given service.
Container Size (yard3)
Weekly Collection Frequency 1x 2x 3x 4x 5x 95 gallon Free $22.25 1 $36.14 $72.30 $108.47
1.5 $39.53 $79.07 $118.60 $158.11 $197.65 2 $45.85 $91.68 $137.53 $183.36 $229.21 4 $88.39 $176.75 $265.14 $353.53 $441.91 6 $106.73 $213.49 $320.23 $426.99 $533.74 8 $126.52 $253.08 $379.59 $506.16 $632.67 10 $144.49 $288.98 $433.47 $577.96 $722.43
Container Size (yard3) Weekly Collection Frequency 1x 2x 3x 4x 5x 6x 65 gallon $23.14 95 gallon $23.14 $40.10 $55.23 1 $42.56 $79.49 $111.45 $148.28 1.5 $52.17 $91.42 $129.02 $169.88 $209.12 $248.35 2 $63.68 $120.96 $173.81 $235.20 $291.61 $350.06 4 $105.86 $192.39 $278.89 $365.21 $449.69 $538.44 6 $157.78 $286.81 $412.69 $547.00 $666.76 $701.72 8 $192.08 $358.07 $517.13 $682.15 $856.01 $889.64 10 $227.85 $420.96 $614.19 $807.33 $1,000.35 $1,058.08
A roll off dumpster is a large metal rectangular trash container, that has a top latch to block weather and rodents from the contents. A dumpster has four wheels so it can move large amounts of trash from a commercial propriety's trash collection area to a dump truck to be emptied and then back to the collection area.
Roll off Dumpster Price (Cost per haul)
Container Size (yard3) Temporary Permanent Weight Cap (tons) 11+ Dumpster on the same job site 10-yard $360.22 $351.12 2 $324.20 15-yard $394.75 $381.10 2.5 $355.27 20-yard $423.48 $405.28 3 $381.13 30-yard $490.24 $462.94 4 $441.22
Compactors are used to reduce the amount of trash volume by crushing trash, with hydraulic based pressure, to reduce the empty space between individual trash pieces. This helps to improve logistics for waste haulers and may decrease commercial service rates for trash and recycling.
Permanent Compactor Price (Cost per Haul)
Container Size (yard3) Cost per Haul Weight Cap (tons) 20-yard $405.28 3 25-yard $423.72 3.5 30-yard $462.94 4
What part of the Commercial Solid Waste Franchise is important for my building?
- Groot issues invoices on a monthly basis. Invoices must be paid must be paid within thirty (30) days of billing.
- As required by City ordinance, Groot provides one free 95-gallon recycling container that is collected once a week. It is the commercial property’s responsibility to display this container to be collected by the hauler at least once per week.
- Commercial property managers/owners are responsible for registering their containers annually with the Director of Public Works.
- NAME, ADDRESS and TELEPHONE NUMBER are required, including NUMBER OF CONTAINERS, CAPACITY OF EACH, LOCATION OF CONTAINER(S). NAME and ADDRESS and TELEPHONE NUMBER of hauler (Groot) and FREQUENCY OF COLLECTION is also needed
- Collections begin as early as 6 a.m
- Collection days are mutually agreed upon by Groot and the customer
- If located in the downtown zoning districts, containers must be shut and locked, except when depositing or removing waste
Where can I access the full contract documents?
The renegotiated contract is effective until October 31, 2020.