Welcome to the City of Evanston
The City’s web site is a great resource for new and existing residents! The web site is ever-changing and updated regularly. Visit often to learn what’s going on. You can type in a key word or two in the large search area on the home page or at the top of other pages for quick links to information.
View this information in Spanish.
Para ver esta información en español, por favor haga clic aquí.
The City of Evanston has 10 departments and offers many services from many different facilities. Residents can call or text 847-448-4311 or dial 3-1-1 directly while in Evanston to reach the 311 Service Center. Hours are Monday to Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. to ask questions, request services or report non-emergency situations. If you prefer, you can chat online. In addition, services are available online and on our app 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
You can find maps of city buildings, parks, streets, and more through this website
Where You Are
Enter your address in About My Place to learn in which City Ward you reside; your Alderman's name and contact information; your refuse, food/yard waste and recycling pickup days; street cleaning dates; and other vital information you need to become acclimated to your new community.
Get Involved and Stay Informed
Keep up with the latest news. Sign up at cityofevanston.org/newsletter for a wide variety of text message alerts and enewsletters. You can receive courtesy reminders about street cleaning, snow parking bans or beach closures notices, as well as general and special interest newsletters.
Licenses and other Registration
- All vehicles registered to Evanston must pay a wheel tax annually (formerly, a City sticker showed proof of payment).
- The City has a wonderful library system. Learn about getting a library card here.
- Voter Registration, Polling Places and Precincts
- Purchase a residential parking permit.
- Driver's Licenses are obtained through the Illinois Secretary of State's Office
- Call 311 to register your monitored alarm. The initial fee is $100 and $30 every year for renewal.
Have you have purchased property in Evanston? Please be aware that Cook County homeowners may take advantage of several valuable property-tax-saving exemptions. There are currently four exemptions that must be applied for or renewed annually: the Homeowner Exemption, Senior Citizen Homestead Exemption, Senior Citizen Assessment Freeze Exemption, and the Home Improvement Exemption.
Beaches, Libraries, Parks, and Community Centers
Waste, Recycling, Street Cleaning, Leaf Blowing and Snow Removal
- Refuse Collection, Recycling, and Food and Yard Waste information
Note: If you purchased property, at the closing an account would have been opened in the new owner's name(s). Trash and recycling carts should have been left behind. Yard/compost carts cost $82.50 plus a $25 annual fee placed on your water bill. Please call 847-448-4311 if you have additional questions.
- Leaf Blowing: Leaf blowers may only be used between March 30 and May 15 and between September 30 and the first Thursday of December during these hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturday, Sunday, and holidays, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Any person who uses a leaf blower (backpack mounted or handheld gasoline powered) or any person who permits the private or commercial use of a leaf blower on their property during restricted days or times, is subject to a fine.
- Street Cleaning
- Snow Parking Regulations
To explore Evanston’s commercial districts and unique neighborhood offerings, please visit EvanstonEdge.com, the City of Evanston’s Economic Development website.