Welcome to the City of Evanston. The City’s web site is a great resource for new and existing residents! The web site is ever-changing and updated regularly. Visit often to learn what’s going on. You can type in a key word or two in the large search area on the home page or at the top of other pages for quick links to information.
The City of Evanston has 10 departments and offers many services from many different buildings. Residents can call or text 847-448-4311 or dial 311 directly while in Evanston to reach the 311 Service Center. Hours are Monday to Friday from 7am to 7pm to ask questions, request services or report non-emergency situations. If you prefer, you can chat online. In addition, services are available online and on our app 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Where You Are
Enter your address in About My Place to learn what City Ward you reside in; your Alderman's name and contact information; your refuse, yard waste and recycling pickup days; street cleaning dates; and other vital information you need to become acclimated to your new community.
Licenses and other Registration
- The City has a wonderful library. Learn about getting a library card here.
- Residents must register their pets with the City and purchase a pet license annually.
- Voter Registration, Polling Places and Precincts
- Purchase a residential parking permit. All vehicles registered to Evanston must also pay a wheel tax annually.
- Driver's Licenses are obtained through the Illinois Secretary of State's Office
Have you have purchased property in Evanston? Please be aware that Cook County homeowners may take advantage of several valuable property-tax-saving exemptions. There are currently four exemptions that must be applied for or renewed annually: The Homeowner Exemption, Senior Citizen Homestead Exemption; Senior Citizen Assessment Freeze Exemption, and the Home Improvement Exemption.
Beaches, Libraries, Parks, and Community Centers
Evanston has 5 swimming beaches and a dog beach , 7 community centers, the main Evanston Public Library and two branch libraries, as well as 76 parks and 50 playgrounds.
Waste, Recycling, Street Cleaning and Snow
- Refuse Collection, Recycling, Yard Waste and Seasonal Services
- Leaf Blowing: Leaf blowers may only be used between March 30 and May 15 and between September 30 and the first Thursday of December during these hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturday, Sunday, and holidays, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Street Cleaning
- Snow Plan
To explore Evanston’s commercial districts and unique neighborhood offerings, please visit EvanstonEdge.com, the City of Evanston’s Economic Development website.