BANNER PERMIT APPLICATION
• Only banners from City sponsored events or City funded banners will be allowed to be installed/displayed on City street light poles.
• Banners can only be displayed between May 1st and October 31st. Permit to display the banners will be limited to a maximum of six (6) months.
• Banners will not be allowed to be displayed on streets with four or more lanes of traffic, i.e. Ridge Avenue and Green Bay Road, except in business districts and adjacent to exempt entities.
• Separate units of local government including Universities and Hospitals that install their own banner and assume liability are excluded from this policy i.e. Evanston School District 65, Evanston School District 202, Ridgeville Park District, Downtown Evanston.
Application must be made using the Banner Permit Application. The applications will be reviewed and approved on a “first-come, first-served” basis. On this form, the applicant must specify the event or institution being recognized on the banner, the dates during which the banners are requested to be displayed, and the specific locations of the poles the applicant wishes to use. (Note: Not all poles can accept banners due to possible conflicts with traffic control signs or signals. When this occurs, staff will work with the applicant to select alternate locations.) The banner’s message, the length of time being requested for displaying the banners and the proposed locations should be related to and appropriate for the events or institutions for which the banners are being installed. A scale drawing or sketch of the banner (both sides, if the sides are different) must be provided with the application.
All installation and removal is to be performed by the City or by an approved contractor.
Installation by the City:
• On poles with brackets in place: $35.00 for first banner plus $12 for each additional banner
• On poles without brackets: $45.00 for first banner plus $22 each for additional banner
• Trips to repair banners: $35.00 for each banner
Installation by approved private contractor: $25.00 per application
A certificate of insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 naming the City of Evanston as an additional insured must be provided before banners can be installed. A hold-harmless agreement is part of the application.
Two (2) banner sizes are acceptable: two (2) feet by five (5) feet and two and one-half (2 ½) feet by eight (8) feet. Either size may be used on the City’s taller street light poles, but only the smaller size may be used on the shorter, ornamental Tallmadge poles. Regardless of size, the banner must have: (1) wind flaps cut into the fabric to reduce the strain on the pole, (2) sleeves at the top and bottom to accept the horizontal rod of the bracket, and (3) metal grommets near each corner to allow the banner to secure to the pole. Banners must be of sufficient strength and durability to withstand the elements during the period they are in place. If the City must return to the site of the banner installation to remove a torn, faded, or otherwise damaged banner; the applicant will be charged a fee for each trip to the site.
DOCUMENTS: Banner Permit Application (.pdf)
The public use prevails over any private use of public space. Therefore, the City reserved the right to remove banners when necessary. A pro-rated refund will be issued should this occur.