Whether you're opening a new restaurant or taking over an existing business that has any food sales, service or storage, contact the Health Department as early as possible in the process. We're here to help you!
Required by any operation that provides food to the public. Examples include restaurants, grocery stores, churches, gas stations, day care centers, clubs, care facilities, bakeries, distributors, processors, schools and more.
VERY IMPORTANT: No food for public consumption may be prepared or stored in the home. Private caterers (caterers who provide food for private events) are not licensed by either Evanston or the Illinois Department of Public Health.
TERM: Calendar Year.
RENEWABLE: Yes. Invoice mailed by City of Evanston in November.
TRANSFERABLE: No. New owner must submit application to Health Department and receive license before any food storage, sales or service may take place.
CONTACT: Ellyn Golden, Environmental Health License Coordinator, (847) 866-2947 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For detailed information regarding the licensing process go to FAQs.
Apply Online: Food Establishment License Application (preferred method)
- Food Establishment Business License Application (printable)
- Food Establishment Facility Review Packet (submit with all applications)
WE RECOMMEND you contact us to discuss your plans as soon as you have a specific address in mind or a type of operation you would like to open. Health inspectors are available - at no cost to you - for a consultation to review your scope of operations.
NEW CONSTRUCTION OR REMODEL OF AN EXISTING BUSINESS?
- Building Permit Process
- Food Establishment Facility Review Packet
- Food Facility Construction Manual (an excellent in-depth reference)
NEW SIGN? For information and an application go to: Sign Permit Application
ALARM? Registration is required. For information go to: Alarm Permit
IMPORTANT: All applications must be reviewed by Zoning to confirm that the proposed use, whether a principal or accessory use, is compliant with City regulations. Call (847) 866-2930 or email email@example.com. If you are applying for a license for a restaurant, you will need to submit a Statement of Restaurant Use (printable version) or apply online here.
**Please Note: Retail space in excess of 10,000 square feet -- follow this link explaining the Plastic Bag Ordinance.
No animals other than service animals are allowed in the food establishment.
- No amplified music is allowed outside the food establishment. This applies to both sidewalk cafes and patios.
- No smoking is allowed in the food establishment. Smoking is also prohibited within 25 feet of an entrance to the food establishment.
- Title 3 Chapter 3 Weights and Measures
- Title 4 Chapter 12 Sign Regulations
- Title 6 Zoning
- Title 8 Chapter 5 Municipal Solid Waste
- Title 8 Chapter 8 Food Service and Retail Food Store Sanitation
- Title 8 Chapter 21 Clean Air Act - Smoking
State of Illinois
- Title 77 Chapter I Subchapter m Part 750 Food Service Sanitation Code
- Title 77 Chapter I Subchapter m Part 760 Retail Food Store Sanitation Code
- Illinois Department of Revenue
- Register Your Business – State of Illinois
- Starting a Business in Illinois – State of Illinois Business Portal
- Starting a Business – U.S. Small Business Administration
- Business Incorporation – U.S. Small Business Administration
- How to obtain your Food Service Sanitation Manager Certification
- City of Evanston Food Service Sanitation Manager Course Options
- Kitchen_Companion - Your Safe Food Handbook.