Mandated by the federal Older Americans Act and the Illinois Act on Aging, the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program protects and promotes the rights and quality of life for people who reside in long-term care facilities (nursing homes). This is done through regional ombudsmen who have a hands-on working relationship with the residents and staff of the facilities within their program areas.
Long-Term Care Ombudsmen protect, defend and advocate for residents by:
- Informing residents and their families of their rights;
- Resolving complaints;
- Providing information on residents needs/concerns to their families, facility staff and their community; and
- Advocating for good individualized care.
The Ombudsman program is available to:
- Residents* of any long-term care facility;
- Friends and relatives of persons who live in long-term care facilities;
- Long-term care facility staff members and administrators with resident-related concerns;
- Individuals and families who are considering nursing home placement as a long-term care option;
- The community at large; and
- Other interested groups concerned about the welfare of residents of long-term care facilities.
* The Illinois Department on Aging defines a resident as a person 60 or older who is either a current resident, a prospective resident, or a former resident of a long-term care facility.
When contacted, an Ombudsman will:
- Listen to resident and family concerns;
- Keep all information confidential;
- Involve the resident and/or family in the investigation and resolution plan; and
- Seek to resolve problems within the facility.
Reasons to contact the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program...
- To report a problem or concern;
- To seek information about long-term care facilities;
- To learn more about Illinois' Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program; or
To get answers to questions about:
- Facility services or standards;
- Medical coverage;
- Resident rights; and/or
- Transfer or discharge.
For more information, please contact Audrey L. Thompson, Long-Term Care Ombudsman at 847-448-8173 or email@example.com