- New! Evanston GreenBuzz Website
- Community Choice Electricity Aggregation
- Renewable Energy
- Energy Efficiency
- Waste Reduction & Recycling
- Water Conservation
- Food Cycle
- Land Use & Development
- Community Resources
- Intern Program
Climate change is one of the largest environmental issues facing Evanston, along with the rest of the world. Because of this, Evanston has been pursuing its goal of reducing its greenhouse gas emissions by 7% from the 1990 levels by 2012.
A Climate for Change
In 2007, the Office of Sustainability was created shortly after the City's Strategic Plan identified environmental sustainability as one of three guiding values for Evanston.
The Evanston Office of Sustainability works with City departments, residents, businesses, regional, state and national partners to develop policies and implement initiatives that strengthen the environmental and economic sustainability of Evanston.
The Office of Sustainability focuses on the seven following areas:
- 2006 - US Mayor’s Climate Protection Agreement
- 2007 - GHG emission inventory revealing a need for 13% reduction in emissions by 2012
- 2008 - Evanston Climate Action Plan (ECAP) unanimously accepted by City Council
- 2009 - Year One Evanston Climate Action Plan Update
- 2010 - Update of Community GHG Emissions Inventory
- 2012 - Evanston Climate Action Plan Update 2011
Green Ribbon Committee
The Green Ribbon Committee is comprised of the seven largest employers in Evanston and is dedicated to ongoing collaboration in an attempt to advance strategies outlined in ECAP.
- Community Resources - This section holds all the resources for any of the 6 areas of interest that we have made available to residents.
The best way that Evanston can become a more sustainable city is through community participation. You are encouraged to contact the Office of Sustainability at email@example.com with any comments or questions regarding current initiatives as well as suggestions on future projects that we should explore.
Office of Sustainability
2100 Ridge Ave. Evanston, IL 60201
Sign up for Sustainability News
Site Plan Appearance and Review Committee
Plan Commission - CANCELED
Northwestern University / City Committee - CANCELED
City Clerk Office Closed From 11AM to 12PM
- Evanston Calls for a Voluntary Alternate Side Residential Parking Restriction on Dec. 11
- Evanston Holiday Tree Pickup Schedule
- Free Seminar to Explain How to Do Business with Large Evanston Entities
- "Shop Evanston" this Holiday Season
- 2014 Stickerless Evanston Vehicle Registration Deadline is December 16