Fiscal Year 2021 Budget
In November 2019, the Evanston City Council adopted a budget for the 2020 calendar year. During this process, a projected budget for the 2021 calendar year was also created and is included in the 2020 budget document. Given the changes caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, a revised 2021 Proposed Budget will be presented to City Council in October 2020. City Council discussions and other public hearings on the 2021 budget will be held in October and November 2020. The City will be developing opportunities for virtual engagement on the 2021 budget in August and September 2020. More information on those engagement opportunities will be shared to this page and to the City’s news and social media sources.
Fiscal Year 2020 Budget
2020 Adopted Budget Documents
The 2020 budget and 2019 tax levies were adopted by the City Council on November 25, 2019. More information on budget items can be found in the Budget Memos below.
- 2020 Adopted Budget Overview - Data Story
- 2020 Adopted Budget Document (with 2021 Projected Budget) - December 23, 2019
- 2020 Budget Ordinance - 149-O-19 - November 25, 2019
- 2019 Tax Levy Ordinances (payable 2020) - November 25, 2019
2020 Budget Presentations
- November 18, 2019 - Budget and Tax Levies Proposed, City Council Meeting
- November 11, 2019 - Budget Discussion, City Council Meeting
- October 26, 2019 - Capital Improvement Plan Presentation
- October 14, 2019 - City Council Meeting
- September 17-21, 2019 - Presentation from Community Budget Roundtable Discussions
- August 5, 2019 - Mid-year Budget Update
2020 Budget Memos
Weekly through October and November, the City will publish budget memos responding to questions from City Council and offering more detail on items contained in the 2020 budget.
- Budget Memos through November 21, 2019
- Feedback from Community Budget Roundtable Discussions (September 17, 19, and 21)
2020 Proposed Budget Documents
Printed copies of the proposed budget document are available in the City Clerk's Office, Evanston Public Library, and Main Library Branches.
- 2020-21 Proposed Budget - Full Document - October 4, 2019
- Budget Balancing Worksheet - Updated as of November 15, 2019
- 2020-21 Proposed Budget Summary - October 4, 2019
- 2020-21 Proposed Budget Transmittal Letter - October 4, 2019
- Budget Process Overview - Resumen del proceso presupuesto - October 4, 2019
Tax and Fee Information
Information about major city revenue sources can be found on the Tax Information page. A detailed breakdown of your property tax bill can be found on Property Tax Bill Explanation. Other tax rates and information can be found on the Home Rule Tax page.