Fiscal Year 2020-21 Budget Process
Throughout the months of July, August and September, the City of Evanston prepares its budget for the upcoming year. The budget is then presented to City Council in early October for review and is finalized before December 31. This year, the City will prepare a two-year budget for FY2020 and 2021 in order to aid long-term planning. The below document summarizes the budget process and major portions of the City's budget.
Information about major city revenue sources can be found on the Tax Information page. A detailed breakdown of your property tax bill can be found on Property Tax Bill Explanation. Other tax rates and information can be found on the Home Rule Tax page.
Budget Development Timeline
- September 17-21: Community Budget Round Table Discussions
- Friday, October 4: Proposed Budget available on City website
- Saturday, October 26: Budget Public Hearing at City Council Meeting
- October and November: Budget discussions at City Council Meetings
- December 31: Deadline for Budget Adoption
Community Budget Roundtable Discussions
The City of Evanston is seeking public input on the 2020-21 City Budget. Join us for one of three community budget roundtable discussions. Each meeting will begin with a brief overview of the budget process followed by small group roundtable discussions.
Meetings will be held:
- Tuesday, September 17, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. - J.E.H. Education Center, 1500 McDaniel Ave
- Thursday, September 19, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. - Main Evanston Public Library, 1703 Orrington Ave.
- Saturday, September 21, noon to 2 p.m. - Levy Senior Center, 300 Dodge Ave.
The presentation from these meetings can be viewed here.
A Spanish translator will be available on September 17 and September 19. All meetings will have an area with activities for children.
Fiscal Year 2020-21 Budget Presentations
- August 5, 2019 - Mid-year Budget Update
Fiscal Year 2019 Adopted Budget
The Fiscal Year 2019 Budget was adopted by the City Council on November 19, 2018 in the amount of $319,165,450. The full Adopted Budget document is available below, along with summary documents.
- FY19 Adopted Budget Document
- Resolution 101-R-18 - 2019 Adopted Budget
- 2019 Adopted Budget Balancing Worksheet
- Summary of Tax and Fee Changes in 2019 Budget